05. 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘂𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗿𝘆

AFTER THIRTY MINUTES OF WAITING, THE MAXIMOFFS SET THEIR PLAN IN MOTION. With the other children minding their own business, they couldn't risk at least one of them spotting them and snitching on them. Leaving a place as Little Darlings has always been something Eszter dreamt of doing, hating the place ever since she walked inside the doors. However, trying to leave the building felt like a game; they had to come up with an elaborate plan to escape it, and whenever they did, Eszter had never felt freer. Sokovia hasn't gotten better than the night of her parent's death, but nor did it become worse since then. It was like spinning the flag on a wheel pin, and instead of landing on one pick, it lands in the middle.

Even though none of the children are particularly fond of Miss Novak, there is one child with Miss Novak, the 'teacher's pet' that no one likes--Nathan. The boy is troublesome, and even Eszter despises Nathan. Never in six years of living at the orphanage did they think Miss Novak would ever adore a kid, but Nathan proved to be similar to Miss Novak. He is mischievous and scandalous; he was smart and found manipulative ways to get himself out of trouble.

Nevertheless, the Maximoffs weren't going to let a snobby orphan boy stop them from leaving, from being able to feel the freedom. Besides, they'll only be gone for a few hours, at least two hours.

Eszter was dressed and finished reading her book by the time she had to meet up with Wanda and Pietro. The teenager closes her book shut and tucks it away on her nightstand. Casually, the siblings scattered different places around the building, and Eszter took the main floor; the teenager would casually inspect outside the windows and every kid around. Eszter stood close by the window, gazing outside almost sneakily, but the teenager can see the protest collecting in the distance.

"What are you doing?" A voice questions from behind, startling Eszter.

Jumping a little in her shoes, Eszter spins around on her toes with a hand pressed to her chest, breathing heavily. "Jesus," Eszter mutters low, shaking her head lightly. "None of your business, Nathan."

Nathan stares at Eszter as the girl moves away from the window, walking forward and pushing the curtain away to see what she was looking at. "What's got your so jumpy?" Nathan flicks the curtain away.

"You scared me half to death," Eszter rolls her eyes, planting her hands firmly on her hips. "Why do you think I am so jumpy?"

"Why are you snooping around, weirdo," Nathan wonders, commenting the small insult in Sokovian.

Eszter dismissed the comment. "I wasn't snooping around. I was just looking for Wanda," Eszter backs away from the window as she pretends to search around the room.

Humming, Nathan narrows his eyes. "Right. I saw her not too long ago. Upstairs, I think."

Eszter flashes him a smile and nods as if she were thanking him, playing it off that she was only looking for Wanda. Tearing her green eyes away from Nathan's brown ones, Eszter bobs her head a little uncomfortably as she escorts herself towards the stairs. No words were exchanged. Nathan most likely has his assumptions, most likely wondering exactly what Eszter is doing and why she was looking outside if she was searching Wanda. Nathan is a nosy one.

Walking up the stairs, Eszter discreetly glances over in the direction where Nathan stood, and the teenager spots the boy still standing near the window, his eyes still trailing over her. Eszter grimaces before disappearing up the stairs, glad to be hidden from his wandering eyes.

That was close. Too close.

Eszter follows through with the plan as she was supposed to meet up with Wanda and Pietro near the back entry point, one of the easiest places for the siblings to slip out of the orphanage. Trudging back down the stairs, Nathan was no longer lingering in the living area, so Eszter rushes back down the steps. The smallest of chatter could be heard somewhere on the main floor, but not a sight of a person could be seen; Eszter walks lightly on her feet as she cuts through the corners of the building, making her way to the meet-up spot.