X

The devil keeps on calling - I keep on falling down
My faith is crawling away. Trapped in the dark
You're my only light. It's me against the devil
~ The Relentless, Me Against The Devil

I place the cold bottle back on the counter before turning my attention towards the man beside me, he had offered to pay for the drink, but I had politely declined.

"What kind of photos should I try to get?" I study his face. The crooked smile he gives me whenever his eyes roam up my body or how the smell of cheap cologne and body odour surrounds me from the close proximity he creates when he leans towards me when he speaks. Maybe it's the fact it's not Erik I was doing business with that made me see Liam's flaws.

"The band interacting with the crowd, Olivia told them to be very interactive. Oh, and she said to video while you're at it." I keep the tone of my voice as neutral as I can and my gaze fixed on my bottle.

I've seen Liam's work and truth be told I could do better with my iPhone than he can do with his diploma and fancy camera. His work reminds me of preteen girls trying too hard.

In reality, Olivia should drop him and use his paycheck to advertise the band more, but yet here she is paying for sloppy work.

"I have work to do." I don't finish my drink as I leave the cash for it. Liam ruined the enjoyment of the cold beer.

I head to the makeshift backstage the bar was so kindly able to make for the two nights we would be here for and continue their soundcheck before the show. All five of them are not dressed for the show, but rather in the clothes they lounged around in for the greater part of the day.

Olivia sits by the exit that is propped open as she smokes her cigarette. I can see that she has her phone wedged between her chin and shoulder as she shakes some of the ashes off the cigarette. There's an annoyance etched on her face that has me curious.

I can feel my phone buzzing in the back pocket of the jeans I'm wearing. The name on the screen has me wanting to turn off my phone, but I fear for what might happen if I don't answer.

"Mom, she answered." I roll my eyes knowing very well my family has been trying to reach me since they found out Will and I weren't in Europe together. Thank you, Will, for posting vacation pictures on the first day you are in Europe. I can only assume they think we are on a break.

"Thank god, I thought she was out on a bender again."

"Mom I've never been out on a bender." I rub my forehead, this woman is insane.

"So why aren't you answering me? Did you and Will have a fight and is that why he is with some skank?" I'm really starting to regret this conversation. I can feel it heading south.

"I've been a bit busy mom, I've taken on a new job..." I wait for her comment, scared of what she might say or do.

"Oh?" Growing up with her, I know when she says oh, it's because she's waiting for you to explain yourself; whether that be filling in the hole you created or digging your grave.

"Will and I broke up, I quit my job and I'm on the road." I know Will fired me, but he doesn't have the opportunity to run away from his problems like I did. He will have to face both our parents when he comes back from his trip abroad.

I couldn't make it harder on him, plus both our parents expect me to be the wild one.

"Avril Lynn Lexington! What do you mean you broke up and quit your job..." I hold the phone away from my ear as I know she will be ranting for a bit, Marcus taught me this after I got my first detention because of him.