Chapter 20

"Unh!" I popped up awakening from yet another nightmare. Surrounded by the dark and dim moonlight peeking through the slight crack of the closed curtains. Dark. It was dark. I thought I left the...I looked at the lamp. Someone had turned it off. I looked ahead and in the dim light, I could see a hump under the covers on the bottom bunk. So Axel, was it? was home. If he turned out the light then that means...he knows about me. I felt embarrassed now and caught. I bet that was strangeㅡhim coming into his room to see a stranger laying in a bed that belonged to someone elseㅡhis friendㅡKash.

I exhaled, leaned forward and placed my face into my hands. I was tired of this but there was nothing I could do. Suddenly, I realized my stomach was flatter than it should have been. And it gave me a pain stomachache. I guess I was hungry. I scooted the covers off my legs and carefully and quietly rose out of bed, the mattress making no squeaky noises. I fished out my robe from the bag and slide my arms into it and tightly wrapped it around me and tied it close. Making my way out the room, I halted at the bunk bed and peered down at the bottom bunk. I couldn't see him but I faintly saw his chest rise up and down. Nothing but a very soft, husky hum sounding from his throat, syncing with his chest.

I left the room and quietly closed the door behind me, holding the knob in a twist so the door would slip smoothly into the lock. After I passed everyone's bedroom, I heaved a sigh of relief. I had awaken no one so I was going to be alone. Something I was used to and needed to be at the moment.

Faint whimpering and scratching sounds were coming from behind a door that I froze at the top of the stairs. That noise. That sound. Automatically, my legs quickly took me to the door. The noise was definitely comimg from behind this door. I looked up at it and felt crazy. What was I so worried for? What was I doing standing here? Why did I feel the need to help whatever was behind this door?

The whimper.

Meth...

With a shaky hand, I reached out and grabbed the door knob. I exhaled breathlessly afraid of what I meant see behind door number one. Meth...

I gulped, place my other hand on the threshold and turned the knob ever so softly. The bolt clicked gently. I took a deep breath before I pushed the door open ajarly. Like a lightening bolt, a big ball of yellow fur came dashing out, scaring me to shit. I gasped deadly and almost lost my balance. My heart pounded over 100 max. I clinched my eyes shut for a brief second then looked over my shoulder. I didn't see what escaped.

I whirled around and still didn't see it. I froze and tensed up including my throat. I started to think bad thoughts. What if I set something evil loose? What if I let whatever it was escape? What if it was closed behind the door on purpose because it was infected like Kojo and gonna kill everyone on their sleep? All because of the noise...all because of Meth...

I heard the same noise again. I looked to see the furball rise to it's back legs and fiddle with the knob with it's paw. I panicked. Again, my legs did the work.

"No, no, no, no," I whispered with my hands out in front of me. "Do-do-don't do that. Down." The dog didn't listen to me. I bit down on my bottom lip nervously and flicked my wrists. Oh, God. How loud this dog was could wake anybody. Please don't bark. Please don't bark, I praised. I told myself frustratingly to grab the dog's collar but hell no! I didn't know what kind of dog this was. Not all dogs liked to be demanded. This dog didn't seem like so.

I tried everything to get the dog's attention away from the door. I clapped, I whistled, I made kissing noises, I clicked my tongue; the dog ignored every single one.

"Cooome on. Pleeeassseee." I made the kissing noises again. "Please, come on..." I paused once an idea ringed in my head. Oh, my God. Duh! No dog would reject food. Let's hope this dog was smart enoughㅡof course it was. It wasn't begging to get into Axel's room for no reason. I lowered down to my knees and gently patted my thighs. "Come on, doggie," I said in a soft voice. "I'm going to the kitchen. Let's go get some food." To my surprise, the dog's ears perked up and it dropped down to his paws and turned to look at me.