16• A Smile?

The two teenagers sat rather closely yet still comfortably as they both held one side of the book. A collage of fairy tales and myths.

The girl to the left and the boy to the right. Every now and then, their shoulders would brush against each other's, but they were both too engrossed into the book to pay much attention. Occasionally, she would ask how to read a specific word.

For someone who was allegedly rich, Y/N surely didn't receive the best of educations... Making Armin think that maybe she was self taught or taught by a parent.

After they finished one story about two children who were drawn into a candy house, which they ended up murdering the owner of, he spoke up.

"Um, Y/N," he started off to catch her attention. She looked at him and didn't reply, just a stare. "How about you eat lunch with my friends and I? I never see you in the mess hall, so..." He trailed off.

"I don't eat in the mess hall. I take bread and then go to the female cabin." She replied, looking back down at their book. It was only then when he noticed how close they were, but didn't make an attempt to move. She seemed to have no problem with it, but why was he beginning to feel hot?

"W-well, what about just this one time? You don't have to eat everything, just sit with us!" He smiled in hope to convince her.

She sat silently for a second. This made Armin consider the large possibility of her denying the offer. She didn't seem to like large groups of people, so there was a small chance she would even accept.

The blonde was about to open his mouth to tell her that it's fine, that she didn't have to, but she beat him to it,

"Okay,"

-

The two grabbed their respective trays before walking to the middle of the mess hall to find Armin's friends. Y/N was only following behind him, though, as she didn't spend a lot of time there and didn't know where he usually sat.

Eventually, he saw Jean's hand raise up as he called him. "This way, Y/N," the blonde smiled and led her to the table.

There were some 'hey's and 'hi's thrown around.

Before anyone could say anything about or to Y/N, she just put the tray in front of a brunette foody. She then lifted off of it what wasn't even toast, just bread.

Sasha dramatically gasped before taking the bowl of grits and digging into it. She already finished her own, she was lucky to have someone who gave her food out of habit, not even compensation anymore.

Jean looked between the two females with a strange look on his face. A look as if someone sitting at their table grew four more heads.

With bread in her hand, she sat down next to her blonde buddy.

"So, Y/N. Haven't seen you in a while." Eren mentioned, attempting to play nice. The girl only shook her head in response before she bit off a small amount of bread.

The last time they interacted was when they were partnered up for the knife training once way back when. Everyone can recall him accusing her of being more difficult to work with than Annie, which was saying something. 'At least Annie talks,' he would claim.

Suddenly, a girl with short, raven hair sat down.

'She's pretty. Similar to a flower.' Y/N thought to herself, though would never say it out loud. She was taught never to comment on someone's physical appearance or name.

"You're late, Mikasa." Armin pointed out. She wasn't technically late since others were still coming into the zoo feeding grounds, but she was late in comparison to how early she usually is. She usually gets a tray and waits on her step-brother to sit at the table she usually chooses.

That's probably why they were sitting at a different table than usual, because nobody saw Mikasa to fend it off.

"I was on kitchen duty." She spoke in a soft tone, causing Y/N to notice how similar it was to her own speech pattern, "Eren, how did you sleep?"

"I slept fine." The slightly tanned boy brushed her off.

"Ahh," Jean sighed, "I had a really weird dream though..."

The 'horseface' went on to describe the weird dream he had. Armin was only half listening as he kept glancing over to the H/C-ette.

'She's really quiet...'

-

"I'm sorry, I hope you didn't get bored while the rest of us were talking." Armin formally apologized. They were walking to training together. They could have just walked with everyone else, but apparently Armin wanted to speak with Y/N alone for some reason?

"I don't see why you are apologizing and your friends were highly amusing."

The boy furrowed his eyebrows, "Oh, I thought you were bored, or upset."

"No, if anything, I might have been happy." She said, confusing the poor boy barely more than usual. 'Might have been?' He thought.

"I couldn't tell because you... weren't smiling." His usage of words were hesitant. He didn't want to offend her, but the girl didn't seem like she was offended by much. If he wanted to get to know her, she seemed like the kind of person you would have to ask questions to.

"A... smile?" She questioned. This made Armin stop walking, which then caused her to stop walking. Other soldiers just continued to pass them.

"You know how to smile, right?" The boy furrowed his eyebrows. Y/N opened her mouth, as if she was going to say something, but ended up just closing it. Armin's eyes widened with realization. "O-oh!" He stuttered.

"Well, it's when you-" he started, only to be cut off by Y/N stating in her usual soft and innocent sounding voice,

"I know what a smile is, I'm not fucking stupid. However, what is the reason I would require to smile?" She questioned.

He was taken quite aback by that sentence. She was somewhat...

Unpredictable.

"Ah... Um..." he searched for an explanation, "It's a way to express your happiness." He tried his best. He suddenly realized that they were completely alone in the hall, as everyone had already walked to training.

"But then, what is the reason I would require to express happiness?" She questioned even further.

This wasn't helping him. He was already having a difficult time explaining a smile to her, now she's questioning why she should smile?! Throw him a bone, Y/N!

"W-well... it lets other people know you're grateful. Or that you're not upset!" He quickly added the last part.

Y/N looked toward the nearest door, then down to her feet. She was thinking that they were going to be punished horribly for being late to training, even if it wasn't that horrible in reality. Then she suddenly spoke up again, staring back at the floor.

"Displaying your emotions is a very vulnerable state, however... I suppose I could try to display a smile on my face next time."