ONE

< : > : Chapter One : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

"Good Morning Sir or Ma'am. This S4, Corporal Morgan speaking. How can I help you?"

"You can stop calling me is what you can do."

"Excuse me?"

"You keep calling me at one o'clock in the morning and I really don't appreciate it. I have work in the morning! Are you looking for some ass because I can tell you right now buddy that -"

"Ma'am this is a military line. Please do not call this number again. Thank you."

.  .  . T E N   M I N U T E S   L A T E R .  .  .

"Look here asshole. I don't appreciate you telling me to never call this number again and within five seconds of me hanging up you call me back -"

"You don't sound like my Aunt Justine at all."

" . . . . "

"Hello? . . . Is this some kind of joke Aunt Justine?"

"I'm not your Aunt Justine."

"Thank fuck for that. Your voice sounds very hot and it would super weird if I tried to hit on my aunt."

" . . . . "

"Oh don't get all shy on me now."

"Are you the person that keeps calling me at one in the morning?"

"Ah shit, I'm sorry about that. I forget that we're on different time zones. My apologizes my lady."

"Just don't call me again."

"Wait!"

"What?"

"I call when I get off shift because I'm not tired and I need someone to talk to since my Aunt Justine clearly got a new number."

"Why don't you talk to that wonderful person that answered the first time I called?"

"Because I don't know who you talked too. There are like eight guys in here and a bunch all over this ship that could have answered. What did he sound like?"

"Like he loved his job."

"Ah! A lady with sarcasm! Marry me!

"Wha-"

"I'm kidding. None of us love this job right now."

"Tempting as it is to sit and talk to you about what your job is and how much your Aunt Justine is probably missing the sound of your voice I'm tired and I have to work in a few hours sooo goodnight."

"Before we hang up! . . . If I call you tomorrow, will you pick up?"

"Please don't call me. I'd rather be sleeping."

"What if I called earlier?"

" . . . . "

"Hello?"

"What's your name?"

"Call me Nick."

"Is that your real name?"

"Phoenix."

"Phoenix is your real name?"

"It is but they tried calling me Nix in boot camp which was terrible so I didn't answer and eventually they just called me Nick and it stuck."