Chapter 41

"Albus, please tell me you're not serious."

"I am, Minerva." He said calmly, looking up at her. "I know you dislike the idea of Severus teaching Harry-"

"That has nothing to do with this." Minerva said sharply. "Do not even try to turn it into that. Doing this just gives him the tools to turn on you when Draco asks him for help. And remind me again why you aren't doing anything about that situation?"

"The boy won't kill me, Minerva." The Headmaster smiled benignly. "And besides, Severus and I have that all figured out."

Minerva shook her head. "You trust him too much. You're getting old, Albus, and sharp as you may be, you cannot predict everything. Draco might kill you. Severus could very well turn on you. Harry might not see the clues that you're leaving for him- and may I say I highly dislike that."

"But you won't tell him?"

"I have no choice!" Minerva said, exasperated. "Do you not remember the Unbreakable Oath I so foolishly took after his third year?"

Albus waved her off with his good hand. "All will go according to plan, Minerva. Do not worry."

"You have no right to tell me that, after what you have planned for my boy."

Albus sighed and stood.

"Remind me again why you trust Severus." Minerva struggled to keep herself in line. Something about the Potions master had been bothering her much more as of late. She absentmindedly rubbed the spot on the center of her chest where she'd taken four stunning spells only a few months before.

'You're lucky to be alive.' She remembered Poppy saying.

Hah. Luck.

Minerva didn't believe in that.

"He has been faithful before, in his own way." Dumbledore was saying.

"Ah yes, by turning on those he had pledged his allegiance with. I cannot help but wonder if that is going to be us this time around." Minerva said casually.

"If that was the case, I don't think he would have helped me with this." Dumbledore gestured to his bad hand.

Minerva bit her tongue as a sharp, sarcastic retort leapt forward. The Headmaster eyed her for a moment, as if he already knew what she was going to say. He probably did.

Minerva felt that way often when Albus Dumbledore looked at her. The man was infuriatingly brilliant, and it showed in those little moments.

"I have other matters to attend to, Minerva." Dumbledore finally said.

She sighed and stood. "Very well, Albus. I hope you take my words into serious consideration."

"I always do. Will you be at the staff meeting tomorrow?"

Minerva drew herself up to her full height. As always, it gave her a tiny twinge of satisfaction that she stood above Albus Dumbledore.

"I think you know that answer, Albus. I have not missed a single staff meeting in thirty years."

He nodded, smiling in a way that made him look like the secrets of the universe were at the tip of his tongue. "Of course. Good day, Minerva."

"Good day, Albus."

She went to visit Harry. He was probably with Poppy, checking his hand.

At his request they had healed it the muggle way, but now the nurse was insistent on checking it every few days, as if she was afraid the tried and true method had not worked the way it was meant to.

We're so fragile, Minerva thought to herself. So worried that the people who have gotten along so far without magic might do something better than we can.

"Still healed, Poppy?" She asked with a smile when she saw that her son was indeed in the hospital wing.

"Yes, yes. I just wanted to look into it a bit more." Poppy Pomfrey waved her off, seeming a little annoyed. Minerva held back a chuckle.

"Hello Mimmy." Harry smiled.

His smiles seemed so lackluster lately. It made Minerva sad. She wished she knew what was going through her son's head, but lately he had refused to tell even her what he was thinking.

"Hello, dear." She smiled back at him. "What do you say we go get lunch? The muggle way?"

Harry perked up a bit. "Really?"

"Of course. You always enjoy that."

"That sounds great, Mimmy. Can I see if Hermione and Ron can make it?"

"Of course, if you'd like. Just make sure you're near a window."

He nodded and hopped off the hospital bed, leaving the room quickly.

"Does he seem upset to you too?" Poppy asked.

Minerva nodded. "More often than not, these days. All we can do is stand by him."

[A/N I'm NOT good at writing Dumbledore]