Fact #36 The Badger is Logan or Wolverine

Wolverine Was Nearly Called The Badger:

Wolverine was created by writer Len Wein, because he needed a character who coulddo battle with the The Incredible Hulk. The Wolverine made his debut in issue 181, way back in 1974, as a Canadian special agent ordered by a government department to capture Hulk and "bring him in."

The early Wolverine displayed many of the traits-the claws, the yellow-and-blue costume, and the mask with the pointed ears-which would remain when he became a fan favorite as a member of the X-Men. But things could have been very, very different.

The character of Wolverine was conceived when Wein decided that he wanted to create a character who would be popular in Canada. He knew that heroes based on animals were a big hit in the US, so he brainstormed Canadian animals, eventually narrowing it down to two: The Wolverine and The Badger.

Thankfully, Wein's editor stepped in and suggested that the connotation of a wolf would make for a better superhero . . . and so the entire Marvel Universe dodged a bullet of considerable size. "This summer! In a cinema near you! The Badger!" just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?