Chapter Twenty-Four "Of Doctors and Hidden Doors"

It was just passing nine o'clock when I heard the commotion downstairs. I swore that I heard a scream and ran to my door, but it was still locked. I banged on it and called out but no one came. I heard the front door close and I peered out into the night to see Lord Edgehill in the dim light jumping into a carriage and speeding away. I paced my room and was certain I was going to wear a hole in the rug. Why was no one coming to tell me what was happening?

            I had taken up roost at the window and was nearly dozing when I heard the carriage again. I opened the window and called out, "Lord Edgehill, what is happening?" But he and another gentlemen just rushed inside. I closed the window and sat beside the fire to warm myself, listening fiercely for any sounds that someone was coming for me.

            "Margaret?" I heard Leah call for me faintly.

            "Leah?" I cried, "Please let me out!" I banged on the door.

            "I'm coming!" she replied and suddenly the door knob was jiggling in my hand, "I can't open it without the key," she sighed, "Clara must have it."

            "Well get Clara!"

            "I shouldn't, she is busy helping the doctor."

            "Doctor? What has happened?"

            I could hear Leah on the other side of the door, "Just wait, Margaret, I will let you out." Then I heard her footsteps retreat. I could not stand to wait much longer. Lord Edgehill had left to collect the doctor . . . my mind went a million different ways thinking of all the possibilities. At least I knew it was not Leah or Faith that needed the medical attention, but still I was worried.

            "Margaret?" I heard Leah again but it was not from the door.

            "Leah?" I asked looking around the room, "Where are you?" There was a rustling noise near the wardrobe and so I went to inspect it, as I opened the doors out fell Leah. "How did you get in there?" I asked helping her to her feet.

            "Our rooms are connected," she smiled innocently, "but I have not used it . . . "

            "Never mind that now," I smiled at the opened passage, "let's get out of here!" I followed Leah back through and into her bedroom and then out to the hallway. "Where is everyone? What happened?" I asked.

            "They're in Patience's room," she pointed down the hall and I saw Clara leaving and heading for the stairs with a small basin. I took off running and reached her door just as Lady Edgehill was coming out.

            "Oh, Margaret," she smiled, "there's no need to worry, your sister will be fine."

            "What happened?" I asked trying to catch my breath.

            "She fainted quite suddenly," she put her arm around me and started leading me towards the stairs, "so Gideon brought her to her room and then fetched the doctor while I looked after her."

            "I thought I heard a scream," I said looking back at the door.

            "That was me, I'm afraid," a faint blush filled her cheeks, "it was a sudden drop. Now let's go downstairs and wait until Dr. Gates is finished. We won't be helping anyone crowding the door."

            "Okay," I nodded as I followed her to the parlor. We sat for a few moments and then Leah brought me a cup of tea, "Thank you, Leah." She kept silent but sat next to me while Lady Edgehill took up her embroidery.

            "Your door has been unlocked," she whispered.

            "Thank you," I smiled, "we will discuss the violets later." I took another sip of my tea as she looked at me curiously.

            It was another twenty minutes before Dr. Gates joined us, "Well Doctor? How is our guest?" Lady Edgehill inquired standing.

            "Mrs. Woodbridge can do with a few days of bed rest for now, she is exhausted," he said as he took a glass of brandy from Lord Edgehill as he joined us.

            "Is that all?" I asked taking a breath of relief.

            "She must not stress herself so much," he said taking a drink, "it's not good for the child."

            "Child?" the room boomed.

            "Yes, Mrs. Woodbridge is with child, almost three months so," he smiled, "she just needs a little rest before she's back on her feet. After that she needs to avoid tension and stress . . . "

            "Patience avoid tension and stress?" I questioned, the absurdity of it tickling the back of my mind.

            "Of course, Dr. Gates," Lady Edgehill smile, "Thank you so much for coming so quickly and taking such excellent care of our guest. My husband will show you home and compensate you for your time." She nodded at her husband and Lord Edgehill swallowed the last of his brandy and then showed the doctor out.

            "This is good news, is it not?" Leah asked as I stood there stunned.

            "Yes, I imagine that it is," I grinned, "Freddie will be unabashedly happy."

            Before I turned in for the night, I stopped to see Patience. Clara had helped her into her nightgown and she was propped up with several pillows, trying her hardest to work on her embroidery but failing miserably. I knocked as I entered and smiled warmly, "Congratulations, Patience," I said as I sat on the edge of her bed, "I am very happy for you and Freddie."

            She looked me over with her usual contempt, "Just because I am with child does not mean that I don't plan to have my agreement with Lady Edgehill honored."

            "But Patience," I reached out to take her hand but she pulled it back, "I did not come to argue, but only to wish you well. For your health as well as that of my niece or nephew."

            "Hmm," she smirked, "With how I've treated you watch me have another daughter." She tossed her embroidery onto the seat beside the bed. She did not appear happy at all.

            "I will let you get your rest now," I said as I started to leave, "I do love you like a true sister, and I only wish the best for you. I hope that one day you can say the same of me. Good night, Patience."

            My room seemed empty knowing that Faith was gone. I could hardly believe that she took it upon herself to go find Percival. Surely she knew more than what Patience had told me, but to run off into the night, even with a chaperone was more daring than I could ever consider. She felt very strongly on the matter, and suddenly it came to me . . . it was a little like Jonathon, Emily and me . . . only with an unhappy ending.

            I looked around the room, remembering Leah tumbling through the wardrobe, and went to knock on the back wall to see if she was there. I knocked three times and no answer. When I pushed against the back, it felt solid and did not move in the slightest. I had to wonder how there came to be a passage between the two rooms, I would have to ask Leah that tomorrow. I changed for bed and slipped underneath the covers. As I lay in the dark I could feel my heart beating. The pangs against my chest threatened to bruise so I reached into the drawer of my nightstand pulling out the linen handkerchief and the bunch of violets. I set the flowers on the table and held the handkerchief gently to my chest, remembering how it came to be in my possession. I lay back into my pillows and hoped my heart would calm, but it continued its riot. I rolled onto my side and saw my flowers . . . simple and sweet. I reached out and took them in my other hand and lay there looking between the two. I was falling asleep contemplating the differences between the items, as well as their givers. If life was completely fair, I still do not think I could choose . . . being that life is not fair does not make matters any easier. I felt my heart calm its beating but it was still troubled as I finally drifted off.