Chapter Twenty-four - Lesser evils.

At the safe house, Suarez bustled about to get Nick's room ready. As Melissa sat beside Nick, she watched the nurse laying out the IV bags and syringes she would need to sustain him while they waited for the coma-inducing drugs to wear off.

She gazed down at her boyfriend's supine body and sighed heavily then looked up at Natalie, who stood nearby, waiting to help move him into the other room. She felt reluctant to express gratitude toward the woman, even though it was warranted. Still, it was the right thing to do. "Thank you for all this." She gestured toward the interior of the safe house. "You didn't have to. Aren't you afraid you'll get caught?"

Natalie looked over at Nick. "He wanted to do the right thing years ago, and I stopped him because I thought I had to keep him safe. He deserved to make that choice for himself. I made a mistake. It's worth it to make up for that."

"I can understand that. I'm just so worried about him."

Sonya, who stood a few steps away from them, offered a smile to Melissa. "Don't worry soon he'll be as good as new," she added, "it's time to move him into the other room. Are you ready?"

Melissa and Natalie looked at each other and nodded.

It seemed a little easier moving Nick this time, but not by much. Melissa wondered more than once if an unconscious person bruised easier than a conscious one. She felt scared and guilty and helpless. Her palms were clammy, and her heart raced in time with her worrying thoughts.

Afterward, Natalie went to put on a pot of tea, but Melissa stayed in the room and watched as Sonya connected Nick's IVs and attached a frightening number of monitors to him. His body was surrounded by and pierced through with various tubes and wires as if caught in some futuristic trap.

A picture of Sidney hooked up to various lines, his brainpower manipulated by a CIRAS machine, cast itself unbidden into her mind. Melissa closed her eyes to expel the image.

Sonya appeared competent as she moved around Nick, although Melissa admitted to herself that she wouldn't know the difference if Sonya was instead doing something that would hurt him. There was no way to discern if the liquid in those clear plastic bags hanging on hooks was poison or life-sustaining fluid. Time seemed to slow as she continued to watch. Worry captured her in its grasp and paralyzed her.

Victoria put a soft hand on her arm. "You look a little spooked."

Melissa looked at her and blinked as if she had just woken up. "When did you get here?"

"Just a couple minutes ago. Melissa, you don't have to put your brave face on for me. In fact, I don't want you to. Please."

"Thanks," Melissa whispered. She clung to Victoria's small frame. "Suppose Natalie is wrong? Suppose he dies anyway?" 

"He's not going to die."

"You don't know if that's true, Vic. None of us knows if it's true."

"I do." Sonya turned and stared unwaveringly at Melissa. "He is not going to die, because I won't let him. In fact, he should be awake in twenty-four hours or so."

"See." Victoria gave Melissa's shoulder a firm squeeze. "Come and sit down with me for a little bit."

Melissa stared at her helplessly. She felt untethered without Nick. She had never realized . . .

Victoria must have seen the look on her face. "Okay, I admit, it might not help, but come sit down anyway. You can't help by staring at him." Victoria turned Melissa away with a gentle push.

She allowed her friend to pivot her around and lead her into the living room. Natalie was seated on the sofa, but she didn't look settled in. She looked as uncomfortable as Melissa felt.