Chapter Twenty-Five "Strolling in the Park"

The next morning I awoke as usual with Clara drawing back the curtains, there was still no word from Faith and when I asked how Patience was doing she answered, "Mrs. Woodbridge is feeling more like herself." I noted the expression of Clara's face and took that to mean that she is in fine form.

            Since my guardian and my companion were both unavailable, I thought that today I might finally be able to take in some sights, or perhaps visit a few of the shops I spied during the carriage ride back from the gallery. I put on one of my favorite dresses, the cream one with roses . . . the one Patience detests . . . and I transferred my things to one of my new reticules. I happily descended the stairs and made my way towards the dining room where Lord and Lady Edgehill were already enjoying a leisurely brunch, "Good morning," I greeted them as I took my place at the table.

            "My, Miss Woodbridge, you look in quite the happy mood," Lord Edgehill bowed to me.

            "Yes, I would have to agree," Lady Edgehill smiled, "I am so happy to see some cheer on your face once again."

            "Well, with Patience taken to bed and Miss Stanhope away, I thought that today I might venture into town," I smiled as the cook brought me a plate brimming with eggs, ham and fruit.

            "Oh but Miss Woodbridge, I was sending for my seamstress today," Lady Edgehill said setting down her tea, "I thought we should start getting you outfitted for your debut." I could feel disappoint rising, but she was our hostess, among other things, and with all of the graciousness she was bestowing on me, the least I could do was be available to her.

            "But Mother," came Leah's light voice from behind me, "I was hoping that Miss Woodbridge and I could go to the park today, it is fine out."

            Lady Edgehill turned from us towards her husband, "Oh, don't look at me, I am off to see Seamus," he smiled before diving back into his breakfast.

            "For all the time you spend there, those dogs must be exquisite," she rolled her eyes and looked back at Leah, "oh, all right. You two may go off strolling for a bit, but I want you home by three o'clock."

            I heard Leah hop behind me, "Thank you, Mother!" She ran over to Lady Edgehill and gave her cheek a kiss, "Come on, Miss Woodbridge, let us not waste a moment!" She took my hand and yanked gently, she was very excited.

            "Now don't forget, three o'clock you're to be here and we will discuss what gowns you will need," Lady Edgehill called after us.

            "I won't forget," Leah called from the hallway. "I was almost sure she was not going to let you go," she whispered as I slipped on my Spencer jacket. "Mrs. Evers will be joining us, but once we're there she will most likely stay on one of the benches."

            "I did not realize that the park held such an allure for you," I smiled as I followed her out the front door, "Will you be looking for more flowers to paint?"

            Leah gave me a teasing grin, "Something like that . . . " She looked across the street and happily proclaimed, "Oh there is Mrs. Evers, already heading to her favorite bench!" She slipped her arm through mine, "the park awaits, Margaret!"

            The park was beginning to draw people already as young ladies arrived in their finery, there for the sole purpose of being seen. I stopped once we saw one particularly well dressed young lady, "Leah," I whispered, "I am not dressed adequately . . . " I said nodding to the group of people now gathering around her.