THREE

< : > : Chapter Three : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

"I pretty sure we talked about you calling at a different time Phoenix."

"We may have but for the next three months I'm stuck on this shift. You're welcome to come and save me anytime."

"Sure. Let me just grab my keys and drive for eighty hours to wherever you are."

"Funny but unfortunately I'm on a MEU."

"What's that?"

"I'm on a ship in the middle of the ocean in the middle of nowhere."

"Are you serious?"

"If I'm lying I'm dying."

"Wow."

"I know and trust me I was all for it when we first started but I'm way past that now."

"How long have you've been gone?"

"Five months."

"Shit that's long."

"The good news is I only have four months left then back to land I'll be."

"Are you going to be the guy who kisses the ground?"

"I just might."

"Can I ask what time it is there?"

"It is . . . eight-fifteen."

"In the morning?"

"Yep."

"It's one-fifteen here."

"Yeah I know. Remember my aunt lives in Indiana too."

"Right . . . Did you ever get her number right?"

"Nah, she'll eventually have to write me to let me know. She can't call this number or at least she's not supposed to unlike someone."

"How was I supposed to know this was a military line and I wasn't supposed to call back? You didn't actually leave a voicemail with those instructions."

"Harlow when did you move to Indiana?"

"Born and raised here but I just got this number like two weeks ago."

"This is extremely odd that I've never met you before. I don't know anyone named Harlow."

"You do know Indiana is a state and not a city."

"I know that smartass but the fact that you and my aunt shared the same number means that you're also from Evansville as am I. What high school did you go to?"

"Where'd you go?"

"Reitz High."

"No offense when I ask this but you're white aren't you?"

"I want to be offended but yes, I'm of the pale nature. Why does it matter?"

"Reitz has hell of white kids at that school."

"So where did you go?"

"Bosse High."

" . . . . "

"What?"

"Nothing. I'm just trying to figure out how I missed you. Did you go to any games?"

"Had no choice. I played the trumpet."

"Oh shit! You were in band!"

"I was a band geek and proud."

"I'm sure you looked very cute in your band uniform."

"Don't get it twisted Phoenix, I'm still cute."

< : > : < : > : < : >

Glamour was having a sale today making the first four hours of my shift hell. Women and men running around the store grabbing what they wanted. People constantly asking if there were more of the product they wanted in the back.

Merchandise on the floor and knocked over on the shelves. It was all too much and the worst part was that it was only an in store sale or half of these people wouldn't even be here. Telling yet another customer to come back after five once we restocked he wasn't too pleased with my answer as he walked away. The amount of customer understanding I got compared to the eye rolling I received was saddening. Watching the man walk away I could see the girl I met yesterday pacing outside the store.

Checking the time I hurried through the next five customers before calling over Chris to cover for me. Thanking him as I walked away I hurried to the back room grabbing my bag and sending Brianna a text that I was taking my lunch and I had someone already covering me. 

"Timara!" I waved walking towards her.

Pocketing her phone she smiled and waved. "Hey!"

"So, did you have a place in mind? I have about an hour."

Timara looked towards the food court. "I don't but I'm sure a delicious smell will hit me soon."

"Okay." I laughed walking beside her towards the food.

"I'm sorry about my mom yesterday."

"No, it's okay. I don't have friends either. I just work and go home."

"Yeah, me too but you already know that." She laughed. "I'm smelling a philly cheese steak."

"Sounds good to me."

Ordering our food from a guy who kept flirting with Timara we grabbed a table waiting for our numbers to be called. Sitting across from Timara I could tell why the guy liked her. She was beautiful. Her short hair and dark skinned was stunning.

"How long have you been working at Glamour?"

"Almost two years. My cousin is the manager and hired me after I was struggling with paying for school."

"Where do you go?"

"Nowhere now. I was taking some online classes from IU but then some stuff happened and I was exhausted and broke living on my her couch. I needed help and luckily she needed a cashier."

"I'm still living with my parents and they don't want me to leave but it's time. I just need to find a place affordable, you know?"

"Oh yeah. The townhouse I live in are pretty decent. They go up to three bedrooms and I live in a one but you can always apply maybe get on their waiting list."

"That would be great. What's the name?"

Just as I was about to tell her where I lived our numbers were called. Offering to grab the food while she saved our seats the guy that flirted with Timara asked me if I could give her his number. Agreeing to do so I took the napkin with his number on it giving him a smile as he handed the tray of food over.

Passing Timara her food I slid over the napkin with the guy's name and number on it. Timara's eyes widened as she read his writing.

"You should call him." I encouraged.

Timara shook her head. "I don't exactly have time for boys right now."

"Agreed. My bed is the only one I need."

< : > : < : > : < : >

A/N: So that's the first three chapters. I'll probably post once a week with this story since it's not fully written yet