Manners

"Hey, what's that?" Hermione, sitting on the ground, spun around. She hid the piece of paper behind her back. 

"What's what? I don't know what you're talking about," Hermione stuttered. Pansy stepped fully into the room. 

"Oh, come on, Hermione. I plainly saw a piece of paper in your hands just now." Hermione shrugged.

"I swear I was not holding anything," Hermione firmly stated. Pansy smirked. 

"Then why don't you take your hand out from behind your back?" Hermione dropped the paper.

"Look!" Hermione shouted as she pulled her hand out from behind her back. "There's nothing!" Pansy rolled her eyes and stooped down to grab the paper that was behind Hermione. 

"You one of the worst liars I have ever met, 'Mione." Hermione stood up and reached for the paper. Pansy pulled her hand away. 

"Give that back!" Hermione demanded. Pansy easily kept it away from Hermione's grappling hands. 

"Tell me what it says or I'll read it," Pansy threatened. Hermione shook her head.

"Please don't," Hermione pleaded. "It's personal."

"If I read it, will anyone die or be mortally injured?" Pansy inquired. Hermione shook her head confused. 

"Not technically but-" Pansy unfolded the paper. 

"That's all I had to hear," Pansy chuckled and read the short note. 

"The Winter Ball?" Pansy shouted. Hermione held a hand up to cover Pansy's mouth. 

"Sh!" Hermione looked around frantically, even though no one else lived in their room. Pansy tore Hermione's hand from her mouth.

"Who's it from?" Pansy exclaimed. "Blaise?" Hermione's head shot back to look at Pansy. 

"What gave you that idea?" Hermione asked, confused. 

"Hermione!" Pansy complained. "You are the most clueless person ever! You're more clueless than you are clumsy." Hermione didn't laugh.

"Wait," Hermione interrupted Pansy's laughter. "What the hell are you talking about?" Pansy laughed even harder. 

"Come on, 'Mione! Anyone who knows anything knows he has the hots for you!" Pansy practically shouted. 

"Will you be quiet?" Hermione whispered angrily. Pansy chuckled quietly. "You do know he lives in the same dorm as us, right?" Pansy ignored her. 

"No one's here! Everyone's either gone for Christmas or going shopping for the Ball. Speaking of the Ball," Pansy returned to the previous subject. "Who is this note from?" Hermione sighed. 

Finally, she hesitantly spoke. "If I tell you, it stays between us," Hermione muttered. "And," she added. "I don't even know if I'm going at all." Pansy gasped. 

"You have to go. I'll drag you there if I have to." Hermione laughed quietly. 

"Fine." 

"Now, tell me who it is already!" Hermione was silent for a moment. 

"Draco. It's from Draco." Pansy was caught off guard.

"So that's why he wanted to 'talk', isn't it!" Hermione shook her head.

"Not exactly-" Hermione began.

"So, you haven't told him your answer yet?" Pansy asked excitedly. Hermione shook her head.