FOUR

< : > : Chapter Four : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

"Hello Phoenix."

"Woah, why do you sound so awake? Awe Harlow, were you waiting up for me?"

"Please. I purposely stayed up so I'm not woken from my sleep. If we talk for an hour or an hour and a half max then I should be fine in the morning after coffee."

"How about two hours and I'll tell you the awesome nickname I made for you?"

"How about an hour and thirty minutes and you can keep that awesome nickname to yourself?"

"An hour and fifty minutes and I'll let you call me Nicky one time."

"An hour and thirty-five minutes and I'll help you get your Aunt Justine's number."

"An hour and forty-five minutes and I'll stop cringing when you call me by my real name."

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"Do you really cringe?"

"Deal or no deal?"

" . . . . "

" . . . . "

"Fine, whatever just answer the question."

"Are we agreeing on an hour and forty-five minutes?"

"Yes Phoe- . . . Nick."

"Great . . . You know it honestly sounds weird when you call me Nick so go ahead and continue to call me Phoenix."

"You tricked me you little turd!"

"What was I supposed to do? You're trying to cut our bonding time plus it's nice to hear you call me Phoenix. Sometimes I forget that it's my actual name."

"Whatever."

"Don't be mad . . . Hey, you want to hear the nickname I made for you?"

"No."

"Come on, seriously?"

"Like a heart attack."

"You know one time one of my Staff Sergeants had a heart attack - well a heat stroke when we were hiking through the mountains. It was pretty bad. Unfortunately only four people went back and the rest of us had to finish the hike."

"How long was the hike?"

"It was an eight mile hike slipping and sliding, carrying full gear, and drinking hot water."

"Sounds like you love nature."

"I do actually - well I did when I was younger. My Aunt Justine's husband use to take me camping maybe twice over the summer. It was nice."

"What happened? You get too old for it? Camping is for babies?"

"Nothing like that . . . He died when I was ten. They were ambushed during the night."

"I'm so sorry Phoenix."

"It's okay. He was a great man and the closest thing I had to a father figure."

"Marine too?"

"One of the greatest."

"Did he influence you to join?"