31. The Club's Purpose

We waited for the scrimmage to end and stood there watching as the basketball team played. Besides from us, there appeared to be other spectators in the gym as well, mostly girls drawn here by the energy and handsomeness of some of the players. When particular players scored, particularly those on the official team, the girls would cheer, which annoyed me. As for the players though, you could easily tell who were concentrated on the sport and not distracted by the loud shrieks of the girls. Those players, including Zaksus, were loud in their communications, calling out to teammates to cover a certain position or help on defense.

When the scrimmage was over, the coach of the team called out to the rest of the team, telling them to enjoy the temporary break. In response to their coach's permission for a short break, those players walked over to the benches where the team managers had prepared water for the players to refresh themselves with.

Zaksus, after grabbing his sports bottle and taking a few drinks out of it, he walked over to us, probably because he saw us standing there when he was released from the scrimmage for the break. I didn't know him, and I was pretty sure that Muria did not know him as well. Therefore, my conclusion was that it must be Loyd that Zaksus was familiar with. My hypothesis was correct since Zaksus greeted Loyd with a friendly smile.

"Hey Loyd," Zaksus said in a respectful tone.

"Good job out there, Zaksus," Loyd replied with words of encouragement.

"Thanks," Zaksus chuckled and rubbed the back of his head. "They're?" He noticed Muria and I who stood behind Loyd as he did the talking and looked over at us with a confused expression on his face. However, he maintained a high degree of respect due to the fact that he was a grade lower than us.

"I'm Muria Eis Edel, second year student." Muria introduced herself with a non-hostile voice and a smile that was in fact quite friendly. It was the Muria that I had never had the chance to experience.

"Nice to meet you," he replied, blushing slightly and with a hint of nervousness.

I don't blame him for that behavior because not only is Muria pretty, but she also treated all that was not me with utmost respect although with limited scope of friendliness that one would often attribute to be part of that superior and almost royalty-like persona of hers. Therefore, it was obvious that any normal boy would feel something for her.

"And you are?" Zaksus then looked over at me after allowing his gaze to linger about Muria for a brief moment, allowing that blush on his face to dissipate.

"He's Alevian Versteckt Enzel," Loyd responded for me. "He's also a second year student."

"Nice to meet you too," Zaksus smiled in a friendly manner towards me.

With both hands in my pant pockets, I looked up at his face, observing it. Zaksus is the type of person that I am the worst at dealing with. People like Zaksus and Loyd can be dubbed the "Lord and Savior of the Socially Awkward." Because of his outgoing nature that surpassed that of Loyd's, he's even more willing to go out of his way to seek interactions with people like me. For some Zaksus might be a godsend, being the one person that is more likely to bring about salvation and light to their lonely world. However, as for me, someone who has turned his back on that path, their presence would prove to be something of a nuisance. For me personally, since I had known Loyd back in the day when I yearned for salvation, I do not currently feel the same sense of animosity that I felt towards those overly social people that seek to drag me out of the darkness. However, Zaksus though, is another story.

I was about to ignore his greetings when I felt a sudden nudge from Muria's elbow against my arm, almost as if she wanted me to respond. I glanced over at her from the corner of my eye and saw that look of superiority in her eyes, almost as if it was threatening me with punishment if I were to not comply with her command. Therefore, to save myself, I decided that it would be best if I go along with what she wanted.