Chapter 3

Author’s Note: It’s so nice that people are enjoying the first two chapters. You guys are amazing! It’s also nice to see I have some fans on Wattpad, thanks to GermanSam and FateRose. I love you guys so much!

Couple of changes: Author’s notes will be much shorter (if any at all) and will be at the end of chapters instead of beginning. There will no longer be a stated disclaimer. You all know I don’t own anything. I’m poor.

Lastly, I’m sorry some of you are confused. I hope that I don’t confuse you further or drive you away from my story. Maybe it’ll all make sense soon. We’ll see!

---

Between the seconds of the closing door and the quick inhale of freedom, Noah swiftly paced out of the police station with ease. He slipped by officers and men in suits, whispering his apologizes for trying to push through. He caught eye contact with a few onlookers and the feeling of his mind being read washed fear through his body. However, once on the street, he knew he was finally free from wandering eyes and judging ideas. The day was just settling down into evening and the sky was changing from blue to orange and yellow. He looked both ways before he broke out into a run down the empty sidewalk. Home was multiple blocks down Main Street, but that didn’t stop him from running. He needed to get home, to be in the safety of his domain for the next few days. He knew he didn’t have much time left. The words of the police officer still echoed in his mind.

No one’s going to believe you.

The threat proved to scare Noah enough for him to run seven blocks home. He didn’t know what was coming in the next few days, but it was enough for him to begin his plan of action.

After his lungs began to burn and his legs felt like jelly, his feet finally slowed after running for five straight blocks. He came to an absolute stop on the corner of Seventh Avenue, right in front of the bookstore.

Panting and completely out of breath, he stared up at the closed building he worked years in, allowing nostalgia to wash through his breathless body. Weeks ago, everything was fine and she was alive. Noah was content with the path he chose, but now it turned out to be the worst one taken. He swallowed hard and stared at the window, looking straight through to the back of the shop. He could see the “Romance Wall” and all the collection of books he knew she would never be able to read. He stood there for what seemed like hours, unable to entirely catch his breath. He thought he could hide in the bookstore forever, hoping she would return from the dead again and keep him company for the rest of his life. After a while, just as the sky went from orange to midnight blue and all the stars in the universe could be seen with a naked eye, he sighed and tore his sad eyes away from the bookstore. He slowly walked home.

Stepping into his apartment, he could tell things were out of the ordinary. The apartment was surprisingly neat, aside from dirty dishes in the sink. The trash was all thrown away, the carpets were visibly vacuumed, and the counters and surfaces were wiped clean. Liam was in his bed, sleeping like a bear. The snoring alerted Noah that he wasn’t getting up any time soon. He hung up his keys and wandered into the kitchen for a glass of water before getting to bed. He was too tired to be making any sudden plans now. He would need rest to soothe his exhausted brain. He ran his fingers through his hair while nearing the closest cabinet. He pulled the door open and grabbed a glass from the inside. Closing it, he slowly turned, but almost ran into the girl that suddenly appeared in his line of movement. A jumpy gasp escaped from Noah’s lips while he juggled to keep the glass in his hands. Sophia was standing in front of him, wearing the same clothes and the same smile as before.

“So, this is your apartment?” she asked, looking around.  

Noah took a step back into the counter and managed to breathe out words in a shaky voice. “You’re… uhm, y-you’re back.”