12

Day in and day out, Alexandria sat with John. She and his mother were his only visitors. It was done that way on purpose. It took nearly four weeks before Alex let him out of the room in a wheelchair. Johnny was able to see his father through the glass window but that was all. She had to explain several times to both John and Hannah Thornton why. She was trying to maintain the least amount of contact with the outside world to keep any infections from starting.

With her due diligence and that she was able to give him a steady course of antibiotics, John never developed an infection. For two months, Hannah Thornton and Alexandria Copeland were his constant companions. His mother brought word from the mill to him daily. Everything was running smoothly as if he were still there.

When Hannah came, Alexandria would take Johnny to the out building behind the clinic to play. He loved his time with Alex. She would sit at his level on the floor. Every time he came, she would have something new for him to play with. It wasn't just play either, Alex made certain that much of it was a fun learning experience as well. He wasn't even five yet and by the time his father was ready to leave, he could read simple childhood stories.

John Thornton stayed at the small clinic for nearly 8 weeks before he was permitted to leave. The burn did leave a scar, but it wasn't as hideous as he expected. It was still very red and would continue to be so for a while.

The day John Thornton was allowed to return home, he proposed to Alexandria. He teased her that after living together and sleeping in the same room for nearly two months, they should marry for propriety sake. To make it official, Alexandria would attend church service the following Sunday.

The Thornton clan arrived exactly on time at the clinic. Alexandria Copeland was met with a discreet kiss by John Thornton at the door. When he tucked her hand around his arm, Alex tipped her head to hide a smile and a blush.

"Good morning Mr. Thornton. You seem well rested this fine morning."

"A bright and sunny good morning to you as well Dr. Copeland. You are a picture of loveliness. The early night seems to have done wonders for you."

He helped her up into the cab of the coach. His son hadn't realized that they would have someone joining them this morning.

"Dr. Alex!" Johnny rushed into her arms making Alexandria laugh happily. She kissed his cheek.

"Why young Master Thornton what a surprise this is!"

John sat next to his mother and watched Alex with his son. His heart swelled with a happiness that he had never known before.

"Good morning Mrs. Thornton. It's a pleasure to see you under much better circumstances for a change."

The chatter was warm and light as the cab turned to head to the church. John exited first with his son, then helped his mother out. Holding Johnny at his hip, he offered a hand to Alexandria. She noticed that little Johnny did the same, imitating his father. Taking the boy's hand, she exited the cab with a discreet wink to John.

A rumble of laughter left Thornton's lips. He was pleased to see how she cared for his family. For propriety sake, Alex sat between Hannah and Johnny. She had no idea how many people stared at her with the Thorntons. Even if she had known, it wouldn't have mattered.

A few of the church goers stopped and asked Alexandria for advice. She answered them as she always did, warmly and calmly. She and John had planned on taking a walk after church, just the two of them. The weather was crisp, but for nearing winter it was warmer than normal. It was a lovely day for a walk.Though he did not complain, Johnny Thornton looked sad that he was not invited to go. Whispered soft words from Alex told John that she wouldn't mind if his son went with them. He thought about it for a few moments and agreed. If Alexandria was to become his wife, she would be the mother of his son.