17

Time passed quickly for the Thornton family. The month of May was beautiful. The spring flowers were at their peak. Fragrant and alive, the smoky town of Milton was bursting with color. Alexandria was due in a little over three months. She had to slow things at the clinic some because of it. Still, she was healthy and energetic as ever. She and John celebrated their first anniversary and in this time and Johnny Thornton turned six.

For Johnny's birthday, Alexandria put a lot of effort into a present for her son. There was a small plot of land behind the grand mill house. Truly, it was smaller than the bedchambers that John and Alex shared. The old tree back there had been trimmed down and on one of the heavy branches a swing was put up. A sandbox was made along with a cover to keep the animals out. There was a small table and bench seating so that Johnny could do his lessons outside or Hannah and Alexandria could sit and watch the growing boy.

The privacy fence that she commissioned went unnoticed by John until the day she took the family outside. John wasn't pleased that she did such a thing without his knowledge, alas. He rarely went out there because of it.

It was a slow day at the clinic. Alexandria decided to leave for lunch, as Annabelle was there to tend to anything small. Anything more, Alex was nearby. She was surprised to find Hannah dining alone.

"Where's John, Mother?"

"I suppose at the mill. He has been rather busy these last few days."

Alexandria nodded. "I will bring him something and leave it. That way he could eat at his leisure."

Hannah Thornton nodded and smiled. She was proud that her daughter-in-law was aware of John's busy schedule. The women chatted while Alexandria ate. The cook packed a small basket so John could dine as well.

"How are you feeling Alexandria?"

"A little more tired than normal but otherwise I'm fine."

"You look sad."

"No. I'm not sad. The ups and downs can be somewhat jarring." It was the first time she mentioned anything to Hannah about her and John's marriage.

Her brow creased and Hannah Thornton reached over to squeeze her daughter-in-law's hand. "He loves you."

"Of that I have no doubt Mother Thornton." Alexandria knew that John loved her, but she also knew that he didn't like her very much.

Walking to the mill, most of the hands acknowledged the Master's wife. They were, as always, happy to see her. Even more so now, the Master was in a foul mood. She would even him out. Walking up to the office, she checked with the clerk to see if it was okay to go in to the office.

"Enter at yer own risk Doc. Master is in a foul mood today."

"Hopefully a bite of food will change that." Alex smiled.

She rapped on the door. Frowning when John answered with a terse "What!?!"

"What is wrong John?" She asked after opening and closing the door behind her.

Startled, John looked up at the sound of her voice. It was rare that she came to the mill without being invited. "What are you doing here?"

Placing the small basket down on his desk, she walked behind him. Her hands touching shoulders and neck, she began to massage the tense muscles. "I thought you might need something to help your surly ways Mr. Thornton."

"Am I being that awful?"

"From what I have heard, yes."

He grunted as a response.