18

It was Hannah Thornton that went to check on Alexandria the next morning. There she found the empty clinic and the four letters. Not wanting to wait, she read her own and Johnny's. Mrs. Hannah Thornton was a proud woman nor was she was an emotional sort. This even made her ache for what her daughter-in-law must be feeling. If John had ignored his wife, they may have been okay. Hannah knew how cruel he had been to her. The ring that had been passed down through the generations was there, left so that Johnny may have it someday. That spoke deeply to Hannah.

Her son was already at the mill, deciding to take the letter to him rather than wait, she tucked the ring, her own letter and Johnny's into pockets. She was a familiar face in the mill and the grim set of her lips was also familiar. The workers didn't greet her with the familiarity like they did Alexandria, Hannah preferred it that way.

The Master of Marlborough Mills was looking out across the workers with a scowl on his face and arms folded. His brow furrowed upon seeing his mother. This was too early for her rounds, but still nothing unusual. Hannah Thornton went to his office without a word. He, of course, followed.

"What is wrong Mother?"

"Your wife is gone John." She slapped the still sealed envelope against his chest.

Frowning deeper, he read the letter. Bristling with anger, he tossed the letter into a nearby bin.

"Stubborn obstinate woman!"

"Stubborn obstinate man!"

John looked at his mother with surprise. She had never spoken a word against him in all his years.

Hannah took her son's hand and dropped the ring on to his palm. "You still mooned over Margaret didn't you? Wanting what was in death rather than what you had in life. Your LIVING wife loved you. Even I could see you were still mourning Margaret while you were married to Alexandria. Nothing she did was ever enough for you. You can be callous John, but I didn't realize how deep it went."

Fury burned in John's eyes. "Is that what she told you?"

"Not at all John. Would you like me to read you the letter?"

Dearest Mother Thornton,

First of all, I wish to thank you for being so kind to me during my stay in Milton. I am as proud to call you Mother as I am to call you a friend. I am not sure of how to say this or if it will even make sense. I must return to the States. Something has come up and I cannot explain it. I dare not even try. Please know that I love you, John, and Johnny with all of my heart and soul.

This is no one's fault but my own. I shall have the marriage annulled and the paperwork sent on to Milton. That way, if John ever wishes, he may remarry. I beg of you, please do not hate me for leaving like this. My heart is heavy as it is. Please get Johnny a nanny that will teach him, love him, and play with him. He will be a great man when he reaches adulthood. I have left money that will pay for the nanny until he is ready for school. I have also left a bank account that will pay for his schooling, college, and monies for both you and John in case of an emergency.

All of my love,

Alexandria Copeland Thornton.

"John, there is 75,000 pounds in that account. Did you know about that?" When he shook his head, she continued. "She left the banking paperwork for me to have. As much as I blamed Margaret Hale for hurting you, I blame you for hurting Alexandria." As Alex had pleaded with her not to give John the information, Hannah Thornton knew where she was staying for a few days in London and kept silent about it. "What did she say to you, son?"