21

It had been exactly a month since Alexandria had returned to the Thornton home in Milton. They had made love slow and gently for the first time the night before. It wouldn't be long before that would come to an end. Alexandria was due in approximately 4 weeks.

She rarely thought about her life in the 21st century. This was home, hearth and heart. John was working less in the mill. He had left much of the daily running to Williams and Higgins. His fear of losing Alexandria was still great. He wished to spend as much time with his wife and son as he possibly could.

One afternoon, Alexandria and Hannah Thornton sat sewing in the dining room. They had material spread all over the table. Johnny was with tutor and John was doing paperwork at the mill. It was a comfortable afternoon.

Because she was so far along, Alexandria only went to the clinic when it was needed. Her assistant was there to provide aid for the more general of maladies.

Wincing as the baby provided a nice kick, she rubbed her belly. "Mother Thornton was John this active before he was born?"

Hannah laughed softly. "Yes he was. I often thought he was going to burst out on his own."

Giving a poke to where the latest of kicks were, Alex smiled. "See here young babe, this is your father's fault then."

"What is my fault?" John came into the dining room.

"Your child is kicking hard." His wife smiled.

Placing his hands on the top of Alexandria's swollen belly. "See here. Be polite to your Mama!" He placed a kiss on her cheek before sitting down next to her.

Looking over the rims of her glasses, Hannah smiled to her son. "The mill is running well John?"

"Yes, Mother. Everything is good. Williams and Higgins are doing an excellent job."

"When should we expect Dixon again?" The former lady's maid to both Mrs. Hale and Margaret came once a year to put flowers upon their graves.

"It will be a few more weeks, my love."

Rising from the chair, Alexandria put a hand to the small of her back. It was hurting her. "If you both shall excuse me, I believe I shall take a short nap."

"I believe I shall join you then."

Alexandria looked to her husband and chuckled. "I am surprised you know what a nap is John Thornton!"

"I had one or two as a child." He tried to hide a smile.

He escorted her off to their chambers. Hannah sighed with relief. John had changed greatly since Alexandria's return. She was proud that he was able to do so and it didn't sound forced. She loved her son dearly and was happy that he made amends with his wife. Alexandria was good for him. In a way that Margaret never had the backbone to be.

In their bed chambers, John helped Alexandria to undress. She had stopped wearing a corset as soon as she knew she was pregnant, so it was much easier.

"Are you really going to take a nap with me John?"

"Of course. It's not often that I get such a chance. I might as well do it while I am able." He looked to her with a smile.

John gently pulled his wife close to him. Resting his hand upon her belly, he was gentle. It took Alex no time at all to drift to sleep. He laid there for a long while just watching her. He thanked god that he was given a second chance. Once more he prayed that she would stay with him always. The fear in his gut was rarely spoken of, but there it sat.