Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

The entire room lurched the second after Harry had, but Wormtail shook Sarah menacingly. "Back OFF!" he snarled, the triumphant glint back in his eyes. 

"Uncle Peter?" cried Sarah, even more confused. "What are you doing, let me go!" 

"Peter," breathed James, holding up his wand in surrender. "Don't do anything foolish, we can talk about this." 

"Uncle Peter!" shouted Sarah, pulling at the hand by her throat that was balled around her jumper. "Get off, you're hurting me. GET OFF!" 

But Wormtail just shook her again. "Shut up," he growled. 

"What are you doing?" said Lily tensely. "Peter, just what are you hoping to do here!" 

Wormtail actually laughed and hauled Sarah back towards the door. "I don't know," he said. "I really don't know. Everything was going along fine, then Draco here comes along and blows my cover, I don't really have many choices!" He sounded hysterical, a breathless laugh at the back of his words.  

Sarah was jerking her head left and right, trying to look at Wormtail, then attempting to get answers from the mass of people slowly following them out into the hallway. James and Sirius by Lily and Remus, Harry felt too far away stood with Malfoy and Hermione behind them. He had to get in there, had to do something. 

"Uncle Peter!" hollered Sarah, lashing out with her fists. "Let me go, let me GO!" She flailed her arms and legs, kicking at his shins and trying to claw at his face like a cat in a sack. 

"Wormtail, this has nothing to do with her," shouted Harry.  

Wormtail scoffed, his hysteria well and truly set in now. "It had nothing to do with me either!" he cried, glaring directly at Harry. "But you were special, you had to be destroyed! No matter that James was my friend, it was up to me to deliver you to him! And when I couldn't..." He trailed off, and Sarah tried to use his lull to break free, but Wormtail pulled her back before she had a chance to even think about getting out of his grip. 

"She's my baby," shouted Lily, fear alight in her whole body. "Don't hurt her Peter, please, we can work something out!" 

"Oh I've already worked something out," said Wormtail viciously, and stepped backwards again. "Don't worry, I won't hurt your little angel." He shook Sarah again and she gasped, straining with everything her small body had to give, trying to fight off the grown man dragging her away from her family. "She's going to keep me alive, from you, from them." 

Harry saw his whole dad's frame sag. "Who?" he asked. Their group was all in the corridor now, bunched up and entirely focused on the traitor with his wand at Sarah's head. "What do you mean?" 

Wormtail clamped his jaw together and curled his lip. "You won't attack me whilst I've got her, you know at this range I could kill her before any spell hit me." 

At his words Sarah suddenly went limp, tears instantly pooling in her eyes. "Mum?" she stammered.  

"It's okay baby," she said, trying to sound reassuring as she reached out to her daughter. "It'll be okay." But Wormtail jerked her back again. 

"So we're going to take a little walk down the path out here," he said. "Until we're far enough from the house to apparate." 

"No," whispered Lily.  

"And then you can let her go," said Sirius threateningly. 

But Wormtail just smirked again. "You think he'll let me live, after this mess?" he asked. "You think he won't get-" he choked on the word. "Inventive?"