Yield

On a sunny morning Emmy was training with the other soldiers.  For the past week, the soldiers that she has been training with, were purposefully losing against her.  When they sparred against her, after three moves, they would find an opening to fall down from her physical attacks and quickly announce that they lost.  

Emmy stood straight as her right eyebrow twitched with annoyance.  The young soldier had just stood up to dust himself and was just about open his mouth to admit his defeat, when Emmy interjected.  

“I refuse.”  Emmy told him.  “Pick up your sword and fight again.”  

The soldier looked to be 17 years old and have been training since he was 14.  He hesitated at Emmy’s words and his eyes looked towards Seth who stood on the sidelines.  

“Are the soldiers of Ceco so quick to quit?  Are you so easily defeatable? Are you so easy to lose?”  Emmy taunted them. “Since when has the soldiers of Ceco so useless? A mere woman can knock you down and you’ll quit right away?”  

Emmy’s degrading words lit a fire in their hearts.  The only reason why they easily quit was because she is Lady Tomas.  Their hearts immediately held a grudge against her words, causing them to want to prove her wrong.  

The young soldier immediately pulled his sword out of the scabbard.  His quick hands quickly flicked twice in a beautiful arch. Silver magic light illuminated brightly as the young soldier quickly launched himself at Emmy.  Emmy quickly took several steps back as she too took out her sword.

Her sword clashed with his several times before she force the young man back.  Instead of defending, she attacked him. Her quick hands and foot work caused the young soldier to grit his teeth and defend for his life.  Lady Emmy was not holding back. It caused him to be serious.

Their swords clashed with each other, one not giving in to another.  Sweat beaded on their foreheads as they fought. The young man became impatient and angry.  How could Lady Emmy defeat him? How could he let a woman win against him when he used all of his skills and strength?   They were finally fighting a real sword fight and he would lose so much face she won.

His swings became more harsh, as he used his full strength and yet, Emmy deflected it so easily.  His frustration showed through his fighting as he desperately fought back. His frustration caused Emmy to take advantage of an opening that would lead to her victory.  

As the young soldier executed a complicated technique, called Shinra, that causes the opponent to completely yield under the sword’s pressure. Emmy saw how he desperately tried to finish the technique without fully completing each sword stance before moving onto the next move.  His sloppy work made it easy for Emmy to counterattack as he left his left side defenseless.

With three quick steps and three quick moves, Emmy was able to knock the young soldier’s sword out of his hand, kick his ribs and when he fell back, Emmy was already standing above him with her sword to his neck.   

“Now you can admit your defeat.”  Emmy said as she stared down at the young boy. “Trust when I tell you, your enemy will not yield for you during a fight.  It is life and death. In this world, the strong are right and the loser’s die.”

Emmy turned around and looked at each soldier standing in the training yard.  Her eyes were ablazed with determination.

“The soldiers of Ceco are not weaklings and cowards.  They do not yield to their enemies. They do not yield to the fairer sex.  They do not yield!” Emmy shouted at them. “If anyone tries to kill you, man, woman, old or young, you do not yield! It is your duty to protect the people of Ceco.  The very land of Ceco and Master Seoras! It is your duty to never yield!”

The whole training yard was quiet at they listened to Lady Tomas lecture them. Her words were true in every way.  How could they argue with her?

“From tomorrow onwards, we will train like more than we have ever trained before.  We will fight like it is a life and death battle. We will shed blood and sweat along with our brothers and sisters. And in the end, we will become a fighting force that protects our people.  A fighting force that will have our enemies quake in their shoes, with just a mere mention of our names. A fighting force that will make our enemies think twice before making a move against us.  A fighting force that will not run away in the face of danger, but towards it!” Emmy shouted.

Every man standing the the training field shouted their agreement with Emmy.  They will become the most terrifying fighting force in Lirie and have everyone quake in fear with just hearing their name.  

From that day forth, their hellish training started and Emmy was right there beside them, going through each struggle and fight they went through too.  Their respect for her became more revered. They worshiped her as the true Lady Tomas. Before long, the people of Ceco heard rumors of Lady Emmy and her merits.  Their thoughts about their Lady Tomas began to change as every soldier who heard any citizen speak ill of Lady Tomas, they would stand up for her.

They would never use their strength against the people who were against Lady Emmy.  They would only tell those who did not believe their words to join the army and they will see with their own eyes, just how hard working their Lady is.  How unlike the bad rumors about her is and how very alike the good rumors are.

Due to this, there was an influx of new trainees that join the army and with their own eyes, they saw their Lady train alongside them.  Fight alongside them. And eat the same meals they were served with out disgust or any air of superiority. She was humble and easy going.  She easily laughed along side of them and took care of them when she could. She became their light, their reason to fight, their Goddess. And they were eager to fight beside her and for her.