Chapter Forty

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (LATE 2018). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

Aspen's POV

I sighed mournfully at the sight in front of me. My son and daughter-in-law lay in the bed, unmoving. Cyan placed his hand on my shoulder, his expression mirroring mine. Nurse Duchance carefully examined Erebus's limp form, studying the majestic wings that protruded from his back.

The newly sprout wings rested feebly against the bed. They were made of long, soft feathers thicker than any fur I have ever felt. They were blacker than a midnight, so dark that shadows seemed to emit from them.

They were the only remains of the dark creature that we all saw our beloved king morph into.

Outside, Cyan was organizing the guards transferring the humans back to Asteaia. The rest of the medical staff was busy removing parts of stakes and treating the only minor injuries that the vampiric people had obtained from the battle. The rest of the castle inhabitants were crowded into the king's lower chambers, fearing the worst. Each of us with solemn, somber looks on our faces.

"I don't know what to say. He seems in some coma induced state at the moment, and I'm not sure if he'll ever wake" worried Nurse Duchance. Hearing her tone shot ice into the hearts of us all. "And the queen?" Cyan questioned."I'm not sure if the venom took either. It should have worked by now, but with the king not being full a vampire and all" she confirmed.

"Aspen. Do- we know what type of supernatural the king is, besides having vampiric blood" Velorina quietly murmured. My thoughts jumbled in my head. Angel? Demon? Fairy? Fey?

Just as quickly, a chord struck inside my head. The book of blood might have the answers, after all, It contains information on every supernatural entity known to date. Rushing to grab the ancient book, I hurried back to my son's side.

Everyone crowded around as I tore through the dust-laden pages, desperately searching for answers. Flipping to the last page of the book, I cleared my throat

Dark Angels/Angelus Obscurum. A dark angel is a created supernatural being. Not to be confused with angels or demons, they are not associated with either heaven or hell. Dark angels are created when one commits suicide, yet does it to save another's life. This triggers a unique somatic mutation which creates the gene.

The powers of a dark angel will remain dormant until a situation of extreme emotional distraught, similar to the pain of the original death. This will cause a rapid power emergence, where the powers of the dark angel are uncontrollable. The powers of a dark angel can include, geokinetic ability to manipulate crystals and manipulation of shadows and smoke.

Dark angels are identified as having the shape of human beings of extraordinary beauty. They have powerful black bird-like wings and the ability to use their powers at will.

As soon as I was finished, the room gasped collectively."Erebus isn't fully a vampire then, he is a halfling" Cyan mumbled. I nodded "I presume so".

Suddenly, the door to the infirmary burst open. "Nurse Duchance, we need your help in the King's chambers" Lancelin called out, his voice echoing into the hushed quiet of the room.

Madame Duchance and I exchanged a look, then she nodded, rushing from the room. I set the book down on a side table, heading to my son's bedside. Removing the damp cloth from his head, I duked it in the water again and wrung it out. Setting it back on Erebus's head, I turned and left the room.

The melancholy surrounding my heart twisted and turned like a writhing snake. Looking behind me, I noticed Cyan had the same expression on his face. This had affected all of us, each in a different way. Melchior and Draven had been silent all day, incredibly odd for both of them. Asmodeus had been around Aspen all day, Velorina weeping at Adrienne's side and even Damian, Cyan and I had become much quieter. We all felt like a shell of who we were before without our king, son and friend.