Chapter Six

After enduring the rest of the school day, I finally got out of the damn school.

Every since Jonah dumped water on me, my mood had totally been ruined, and not even the barely heard sound of his chuckles during Chemistry when some poor kid made a fool out of himself in front of the great and mighty scary Ms. Bishop could make me get over it.

I guess I could see it now, from Jonah's perspective, how he must've felt when I spilled my soda on him. But to my defense, it was an accident!—well, a deliberately planned accident, but he didn't need to know that! But this, this water dumping thing he'd just done during lunch, he was clearly doing it purposely on purpose.

And don't even get me started on the red bra thing.

Guys started to whistle after Jonah made that remark, and even though he wasn't smirking in satisfaction, I could smell the satisfaction of seeing my red-faced dumbfounded expression, radiating off his body. This was nothing to compare to yesterday's accident—yes, Jonah did strip down to his undershirt, but he did it on purpose and it wasn't like he was showing off his boobs or something meanwhile I just stood stupidly with my red bra displayed for all the world to see.

Anyways, Gina, as always, saved the day by letting me know that she had a spare t-shirt ready to wear in her locker. I really wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have her, so I guess I should somewhat, although reluctantly, thank Jonah for making me realize how amazing of a best friend she was.

I hopped into the school bus since Gina and Bey were having a day out today and I wasn't about to intrude. My phone went off just as soon as I found a vacant seat and sat down, and I answered the call.

"Yup?" I said in greeting.

"Are you out of school already, kiddo?" my dad spoke, his voice sounding a bit tired.

"Yeah, dad, I just got into the bus. What's up?"

"Oh, good. I need you to stop by the diner, if you don't mind. I need some help."

"Of course, Dad. I'll be there in a few. What's going on, though?"

He half-sighed-half-groaned, and I could imagine him running a hand down his face and shaking his head at the same time. "We're down a waiter and a barista. Don's got some family emergencies and won't be back in town for a few months and apparently Kelley just found out she was pregnant, and her husband isn't letting her work until the baby is at least a few months old. It's their first pregnancy, so I understand that they wanna be careful, but I didn't have time to put up the hiring sign before she handed in her leave this morning."

"Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that, Dad," I told him, imagining the stress he must be feeling. Our family diner, Rochelle's, had been around since my dad was ten years old, and it was quite popular in town, which meant that every day, twenty-four seven, people came in and out of the diner, and there was never a lazy day down there at the family business.

Of course, the worst—or the best, depending on how you look at it—times were during the peak hours; the breakfast, the lunch, and the dinner times. The diner would be so packed with people that we couldn't afford losing even just one employee, much less two.

"What can I do to help?" I asked him.

"Well thankfully Robbie offered to do both his and Don's shift until we get Don's replacement, so the barista is covered for now. But I need you to wait the tables for a while. I've put up the hiring sign up front so I'm expecting a few people to start applying for jobs. Think you can do that?"

"Absolutely, Dad," I replied. "I don't have anything else to do anyway."

"That's great, honey," he said in gratitude. "I only need your help to cover the rest of the afternoon shift, though, so you don't have to worry. I'll see you in a few."