Chapter 54: Encampment (III)

HERE'S THE NEW CHAPTER!!!! Can y'all sense it? The scent of an upload schedule? 'Cos I can! *insert evil laugh here* It worked! It worked! It's alive!!!

*cough* *cough*

euhm... *is flushed red from embarassment* what I wanted to say was that I'll try to write the next chapter as soon as possible. I'll be going on a school excursion to London from wednesday to thursday, so yeah... (I'll have to leave at 06:00 am... RIP sleep) Next chapter will probably be next weekend, depending on how much I've written. I'l try to keep y'all updated on the schedule.

Love to every single one of you beautiful humans (or non-humans if you don't identify as a human) <3

See ya next chapter! *waves enthusiastically*

_____________________________

"What are you doing here?"

My soft voice scared Sarah visibly. She shrunk back and her eyes became larger as she did her best to keep herself from screaming.

Sarah managed to calm herself down. Her slight shaking stopped and her voice sounded almost as cool as the light wind that blew around the tents.

"I was looking for you"

"You were?" Though she couldn't see from under my cape, but I creased my eyebrows.

"Haven't I made it clear? I'm n-"

"You're not the one I think you are"

She interrupted me mid-sentence and stared at me with a stern look in her eyes.

"I know what you said. I also know you're the Toru I know"

Crossing her arms, her voice became softer.

"I don't know what you've been through. Not in the slightest. And what you've been through surely wasn't easy for you. You changed because of it. I get it. But down there"

She took a step closer and stretched out her hand, almost touching my chest. Her wide-open palm seemed to want to come even closer, but lacked the courage to.

Sarah bit her lip and looked downcast, yet also a bit hopeful.

"Down there... You're still the same guy... I really like..."

I frowned.

"Like? Don't let me laugh. There's no one in the entirety of our school that liked me. I was just a piece of sh*t in your eyes. Every time I was kicked you guys just watched and if possible you even cheered! What the f*ck kind of bullsh*t is this! As if there's anyone who even cared about me, let alone like me!"

The longer I spoke, the angrier and louder my voice got. At the end of my sentence, I even started to hear some disturbance in the nearby tents. Noticing this, I made a sweeping move with my hand, encircling our location with wind, making it impossible for others to hear us.

I looked at Sarah. Contrary to the guilty and sad face I was expecting, her brows were frowned and before I could react, she burst out in anger.

"Do you really think I enjoyed watching you get hit? I hated it! I've always wanted to jump in and try to help you, but do you think it would've helped in the slightest? They were with four, and I was alone. And even if I had helped you out, wouldn't you get bullied even worse? Having to be saved by a fricking girl? You think they would've just stood there and let it be? It might seem like we were doing nothing at all, and yes, many laughed with you, but they were just glad it wasn't them! I really wanted to help you, you know?!"

Sarah's voice suddenly vacated her.

"I really wanted to"

Her previously spread-out palm was now a firm fist, pressing onto my chest. Tears started to form at the corners of her greenish-grey eyes.

"I'm sorry"

She looked down in pain.

"I'm sorry"

"I'm sorry"

"I'm sorry"

Sarah's voice got more and more quiet every time she said she was sorry.

I took hold of her fist and moved it away from my chest. I didn't know what to say. It was just so... unexpected. I sighed. If she would've just reacted as I thought she would, this would've been much more easy...

I dropped her hand and turned around. It just felt as if I couldn't do anything. Nothing at all.

Sarah's voice, carrying anger and disappointment, came from my back.

"That's it? You're just going to leave like that?!"

I stood still.

For a while, only wind accompanied our silence, locking us in the standstill we were in. Finally, I faced Sarah again. Moving my hand slightly, I thickened the layer of wind around us, completely covering us from not only sound but also view.

My hands moved to the hood of my cape, and I started to take it off.

Long strands of silver hair flowed down my forehead, but contrasted heavily with the curled, black horns with golden rims. Golden eyes flashed brightly in the dim night of the evening, while my pure white skin parted for a long tattoo of a dragon on the left half of my face.

Sarah looked at me and was stunned. I barely resembled the boy I used to be anymore.

Before I could get any reaction out of her, I spoke in a low, soft voice.

"I'm sorry as well"

Without any more signs, I put on my hood again and cancelled my wind magic, before disappearing into the night again.