Chapter 30, Picking a date

"I got myself some tanned bread on my own!" Uncle Anton announces proudly when Jessy and I trudge down to the kitchen

I couldn't sleep one bit.

"Congrats, Dad," Jessy says and sighs when she sees her dad's toast is burned completely black. Scorched to the point of barely being edible. The whole kitchen smells like it's burning down.

At least he managed the leaver this time?

Jessy grabs us two bowls and chucks some cereal in before adding milk and handing me my bowl.

"Thanks," I say and grab myself a spoon before walking over to the living room.

Jessy joins me on the couch and I hand her a weary look before saying: "I got an invitation last night..."

My cousin doesn't look surprised. "To the Northern ball? Yeah, I figured since you're little Miss 'trouble come and get me' nowadays," Jessy says and flips back her straight brown hair.

"I'm going to go..."

"Me too," Jessy announces and eats a spoonful of cereal.

I let my jaw drop. "You got an invitation?" I ask, because then this ball isn't as exclusive as I figured. Jessy is just normal. Or at least, she is now.

"No..." she starts, "Liam asked me and I said yes..." she admits.

I raise my eyebrows at this. "I thought you two ended it?" I admit. Jessy told me she's done with the gangs. Rebellious Jessy is gone and after a gang-shooting, Jessy swore to never get involved again.

"Well... I really like Liam. I've been trying to convince myself I don't, but I really do... We had some really good times and with everything that's been happening I'm literally forced to look into his stupid face the whole time. Sure, the gang life is dangerous, but you're dragging us in n anyway," Jessy says.

"True," I sigh, "And if you like him, you like him. Just don't try to convince me to like join the West-side gang or anything, please. You and Mr Army Hair Cut can go live happily ever after," I chuckle before finishing my cereal and getting my shoulder bag for school.