Different Paths

Reyna pulled at her cravat, scowling as she stared at the uniform she'd put on somewhat begrudgingly. It was tight. Uncomfortably so. She was used to loose clothing she could easily move in, and far more concealed daggers than what she'd been allowed. Apparently, it was school policy to only allow two daggers per student—a policy both Reyna and Lillian disagreed with.

"Brighten up, would ya, sis?" Ruby grinned, fondling her white frilly cravat. "Think of how many ways you can kill someone with this..."

"I still prefer daggers."

"Agreed." Lillian nodded.

"But you get blood everywhere... Strangulation is far less messy."

A voice at the door made them pause, turning as a sharp rap echoed through the room. "Are you done changing, kiddies?" The woman asked. "It's nearly time."

"I suppose we'd best go..." The four siblings looked at each other, dressed identically aside from the colour of the fancy cloaks they wore.

"I don't think white suits me..." Reyna mumbled, staring at the sheer amount of white her outfit had. She stuck out like a sore thumb, and she didn't like it one bit.

"Speak for yourself." Ruby smirked. "Red's totally my colour... it reminds me of freshly spilt blood..."

"Now that you mention it..." Reyna trailed off, looking at her older sister jealously. "It's way cooler than white—I mean, mine's gonna be a nightmare to clean..."

"They call this colour 'royal' blue, don't they?" Lillian said, admiring herself in the mirror, oblivious to her other sibling's mutterings as they all admired their outfits.

"Hn." Blaise stared at them, all but blending into the background in her mottled green cloak.

"Looks like Blaise is gonna have the edge when it comes to stealth..." Lillian grinned, looking her up and down. "It suits you—and your personality to a T."

The tall silent girl nodded.

"You're the life of the party, sis." She clapped her on the shoulder, swinging open the door. "Let's go."

"Might as well get it over and done with, I suppose." Reyna tucked her hands behind her head, strolling out of the room closely followed by the ever-silent Blaise.

"Where are we even going?" Ruby asked, closing the door behind her as she walked out to join her sisters.

"Well, your older sisters will be heading to the main campus, while you and Reyna will be heading to the branch." The woman from the office before smiled at them. "Older students live on the main site, whilst you younger ones get to make the most of the branch campus."

"So you've nabbed Rogue from us and now you're splitting us up even more?"

"Afraid so."

"I don't suppose we have a choice..." Lillian sighed, gently ruffling her younger sisters' hair. "Behave yourselves, you two." Her eyes lingered on Ruby. "Try not to murder anyone on your first day, OK?"

"Only if they're annoying."

"Ruby."

"Fine."

"Take care of Rey-Rey."

"I already do that."

"Fair enough." Lillian grinned, turning to the woman. "Well, I guess we've said our goodbyes..."

"We'll come over and visit sometime, I'm sure." Reyna said, oddly eager to be away from her other sisters... if only to come to terms with their new life. They were a close-knit bunch, that was for sure, but she liked the odd bit of breathing room every now and then.

"You'd better."

"Hn."

"Love you too, Blaise." Reyna waved, turning to face the man waiting behind them. "So, where're we headed, old guy?"

His shoulders sunk. "I just had to get stuck with the rude ones, didn't I?"