This Is Real Life

Vik's POV

Lachlan: "So then why are they so obsessed with writing characters like that? Is it purely for bullying and plot purposes?"

Renee: "Yeah pretty much, I really like the characters that are described as majorly flamboyant."

Josh: "What's the point? They know it's just a trope for the gay community right?"

Renee: "It's not just a trope, It's a clever way of story telling, Lulling the main character into a false sense of nah I got this, when most of the time it's usually the first person to find out about the protagonists blatant homosexuality."

Sitting in English class today was weird. Beside my boyfriend no one knew about, my best friends and now Renee taking charge and walking to the front of the room, taking the class for today as no teacher decided to walk in.

Harry: "So in other words, these authors, or writers or whatever they are called, add them simply for a human punching bag character? And the main protagonist gets nothing?"

Renee: "Sometimes, I mean OK let's take an example shall we, Vik is a small guy, thin and frail and if he was written as a character in a book, he would be the nerdy twin gay that would get Bullied."

Vik: "Oi."

Lachlan: "I doubt anyone would actually want to hurt you Vik."

Yeah I know you wouldn't want to hurt me but that's because last time I denied you sex you almost jumped me, That was this morning.

Renee: "But if we take someone like Josh or Simon, Actually no a better example for characters in these books is likely someone like Preston or JJ, Someone that isn't thin or with no muscle, built a little but not fat or large, they are sporty and considered the jocks. They are usually the people that initiate the bullying or have some hand in it, while everyone else will either laugh or join in. More than likely with Vik as the victim."

Mirrin: "So then why doesn't the author write accurate depictions of school where the teachers will actually help the students being Bullied? Or at least try to minimize damage and not just let it keep going on?"

Janice: "Because then they wouldn't be able to get the trope of the teachers being useless and not giving any help. It's sad and un true in a lot of aspects but that's why I like to relate to the asshole characters, oh Renee tell them about the oblivious guys."

Renee had now been talking about Fanfiction for about 20 minutes now, starting off with labeling this class an open book, any and all questions were allowed to be asked and no one was allowed to be offended and instead answer the question.

Renee: "These guys piss me off but Janice loves them, The oblivious guys are the ones who are probably going to be revealed as gay at some point, but will do anything they can to take the pressure off of themselves and push it onto others. For example in the example I gave earlier, JJ or Preston would bully others or the other gay kid when really all they want is to be with someone that is likely a guy."

JJ: "If I ever come out gay I want people to bash me."

Harry: "Why would you say that?"

Piper: "That's a bit rude don't you think?"

JJ: "I mean I'm going to get Bullied anyway might as well just expect it."

Vik: "He has a point."

Harry: "Then why is it that writers will always write shit when men doing something unexpected as either cute and romantic or sexual harassment or rape but when a woman in a story gets drunk and lays herself on a man the guy is the victim and is made out like an asshole with her friends blackmailing him when she's the one committing the sexual assault in the first place?"

Lachlan: "You know that happens in real life as well right Bog?"

Jerome: "Welcome to the 21st century where you are instantly wrong and told you aren't right if you are straight, male, or white. God forbid all three. And it doesn't matter how old yoh are or whether your opinions are right or wrong, and don't get me started on whether or not a gay person is involved, if they are you are fucked, if they aren't then why not, is it not good enough for you? Or how you are instantly wrong now when it comes to women, a million people could watch a woman shoot a man in cold blood, as long as she utters the words he sexually assaulted me she gets off Scott free."

Renee: "Didn't need your life story Jerome?"

Vik: "He's right? Why the fuck do people believe that writing characters like these means that is how they all must be, how they all must act and keep going with thier lives. I'm sorry but being gay or female should not exempt you from anything and I'd know. I'm sick of having to pretend I'm happy being gay when honestly I'm not, it causes more problems than it fixes and I'm sorry but yes I'm happy that times are changing, more equality is coming about in both literature and media, as well as in real life. But now it's already fast forward to the opposite, now everyone else is immediately oppressed and treated like shit just for not being part of the conformity of political correctness."

Josh: "Can we go back to the gay thing for a second?"

Vik: "Sure."

Lachlan: "Me too."

Vik: "Boyfriend."

Mitch: "Nice, now back onto the other topic he has a point. Not every guy that is gay is a flamboyant male who has more feminine characteristics, Vik is a thin framed male but he's not feminine. And Lachlan is probably a good example of half a jock, His character is probably definitely a stereotype but most jocks are dumb intellectually right? Lachlan is smarter than Vik and Vik doesn't get Bullied for being himself. Why are they what is going on all the time?"

Renee: "Well I mean."

Grace: "And also add onto the fact that white girls are actually the ones that are trying to change and oppress the world themselves and they are quite active in doing so, I mean if authors are just going to write stereotypes for people then go nuts but at least be accurate with it all."

Kieran: "Oh no the school hates me, the bullies pick on me every day and the teachers do nothing about it and my parents don't notice or care. Not to sound like a cunt but it probably wouldn't happen if the character was written correctly or dressed differently or didn't actively try to be like here I am, free target right here."

Renee: "You are all missing the point."

Vik: "No we aren't, The point is that when people write a book in any way, they write what they want to see, what they think thier writers enjoy seeing and will continue to do that and people who read it will get behind the protagonist, they will side with the good guys and hate on the bad guys until the love interest is revealed as the bully then they instantly change thier mood and want to root for them."

Harry: "Have you also noticed that almost every male character if he is even mentioned as straight is instantly a fuck boy, a cunt, an idiot or Insert more words here."

Renee: "Are you done being a dick head?"

Harry: "Are you done being hypocritical? Stop reading books if all you are going to do is criticize characters that aren't what you want them to be. Or even better yet, write your own stuff that is accurate in its portrayal. Sometimes characters aren't liked for whatever reason but thier sole purpose is not to fuck with people and make lives harder and you know it."

I looked over at Lachlan as he just smiled at me, Grabbing my hand and holding it gently.

Lachlan: "I don't care what any of those stories say Renee, if anything, I'm the nerd, Vik's my little Jock."

Vik: "Gay."

Josh: "There's another question, Why is Vik instantly the twink? What if he was an epic gymnast or a swimmer with a toned body like Tobi?"

Tobi: "What?"

Harry: "And why is Lachlan instantly the Jock? He outsmart everyone here."

Lachlan: "Not exactly but..."

Vik: "Don't take the bait, look, class is almost finished already so how about we drop the subject and not speak of it again, Renee keep your stuff to yourself yeah? But I'm sorry, the rest of the world doesn't agree with you."