xiv. judgment day

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:JUDGMENT DAY

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
JUDGMENT DAY

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   THE PLAN CAME together fast, almost too fast for Liz's liking. Nobody was one-hundred percent sure if the plan would work or if it was even good, but at this point, they were willing to try anything. Everyone's main focus was getting Will ready for the interrogation. Liz was worried that Will wasn't in there anymore and that it was just the Mind Flayer, as everyone was calling it. She had known Will since kindergarten and had almost lost him the previous year. She knew that she wouldn't be able to go through the grieving process again.

   The interrogation room was set up in the Byers' garden shed in the backyard. Hopper and Jonathan were the ones that cleared out all the fans, old furniture, boxes that haven't been used in years, and lots of other miscellaneous, useless junk in the middle of the backyard that formed a large pile. Nancy and Steve were assigned to use anything they could find to cover up the inside of the shed to make sure Will wouldn't be able to tell where he was and lead the Mind Flayer to them. The kids were assigned to look through the trash and in the kitchen cabinets to look for anything that they could find to cover up the inside of the shed.

   Mike and Max were searching in the kitchen, while Lucas, Dustin, and Liz were outside, digging through garbage. Liz found it ironic that just the other day she was looking for what they thought was a lizard and now she was looking through garbage to make sure a monster from another dimension couldn't find them. Dustin was the first one to break the silence, "Hey. I'm... I'm sorry about Dart and all. I guess I just thought that he was... my friend. I was wrong. I broke the rule of law, so if you want your girlfriend to take over my spot in the party, I understand."

   Liz raises her eyebrows, "Girlfriend?"

   Lucas sighs, and pinches the bridge of his nose in annoyance, "She's not my girlfriend."

   "I saw you two holding hands in the bus, Lucas," Dustin explains. Liz saw them hold hands but that didn't mean they were dating.

   "She was just scared," Lucas states, talking about Max.

   "Maybe, but I could feel it," Dustin states, making Liz pause her search through the trash.

   "Feel what?"

   "The electricity." Dustin states. Liz takes a deep breath and frowns at his statement. She didn't feel electricity between Max and Lucas but she knew there was a greater chance of them being together than Max ever even having feelings for Liz. Dustin grabbed a bunch of crumpled up newspapers and took them over to the shed.