CHAPTER 9.2

"The eternal sun scorched the land until only ash remained

"The eternal sun scorched the land until only ash remained."

"Why is it always so hot?" Dai asked, through panting breaths. The road they followed hadn't changed much, and in Honey's opinion, the night air was the furthest thing from hot. Yet Dai still seemed to be on the verge of overheating in the thick air with the limbs of trees blocking out the moon.

"You told us yourself that it was always summer in the Wild Woods," Lukas growled, his eyes narrowed. "And if you're so hot, why don't you just take off that cloak?" he snapped, although he already knew Dai wasn't going to. Dai never removed the cloak from his body, not even when he claimed that he felt like he was burning alive.

Dai looked to the floor of the cart, giving only a mumbled response that neither Honey nor Lukas could understand.

"Then don't bother complaining if you aren't going to take off that filthy rag," Lukas said not even turning his eyes from the road.

Yet, Honey still saw the hurt that flashed through Dai's golden eyes as he wrapped the dark fabric of his cloak tighter around his body, looking down, his fingers moving to weave their way through his fluffy tail. His animalistic ears fell flat on his head as his fingers wrapped around a particularly stubborn knot. 

"What's your deal with it anyway?" Lukas asked, suddenly, surprising Dai as he moved his fingers off of his tail to turn to Lukas. "You never take it off," he snapped. "Why's that?"

"Because."

It wasn't the answer that Lukas was looking for, yet Dai had gone back to weaving his fingers through his tail, working the knot out of his fur with skilled fingers. Honey watched him do so, with a slight curiosity burning in her eyes. "Do you like doing things with your hands?" Honey asked, softly.

"Not really," Dai said, although he didn't really seem like he was listening. "I'm just good at it," he said, with a slight shrug.

"I find that hard to believe," Lukas said. Dai looked up, anger burning in his eyes, yet Lukas continued speaking before Dai even got a chance to snap at the god. "You wouldn't have gotten good at it if you didn't like it," he said. "I'm good with a blade because I liked fighting with it over my magic. But once the Lady of Light was destroyed, I began to use the Twin Blade of Light because of how good I had gotten with a blade," he said, explaining his answer to Dai. 

The young Mutare seemed to be thinking about Lukas's words before making the slight tsking noise. "I don't like it anymore," he said, correcting himself. "But I used to," Dai said with a faint smile. "I used to like creating machines. Only then it became boring," he said, his smile fading into a scowl. "What about you, Honey? Do you like using your hands?" he asked.

"I like to cook," she offered. "I don't know how to make machines or anything, but I do know how to make food taste good," she said.

"Can you make this taste good then?" Dai asked, reaching into the pockets that lined the insides of his cloak, before holding up the slice of bread Lukas had forced into his hands earlier that night when Honey had eaten what she had considered to be her midday meal. Dai had always refused to eat the bread, saying he'd rather starve.