CHAPTER 10.2

"Dawn broke through the thick layer of interwoven limbs that usually hid the bright blue sky

"Dawn broke through the thick layer of interwoven limbs that usually hid the bright blue sky."

It was just a glimmer, a streak of sunlight in the otherwise dark woods but as the cart passed under it, Honey felt the warmth of the sun and realized just how much she missed the light. Yet she wasn't able to enjoy it for very long as they passed through the light and returned to the world of shadows once more. 

Honey's eyelids felt heavy as she struggled to stay awake. She had wanted to wait until Dai got back before going to sleep. He had been gone for hours now and Honey had to admit she was beginning to worry about the golden-eyed Mutare.

It was the same feeling in her stomach that she had gotten when Aldwin hadn't shown up for dinner on his birthday. The feeling of worry mixed with the sense that something terrible had happened, or perhaps was going to happen.

 It gnawed at Honey's mind and she felt like she should be doing something. She felt so...useless sitting here, simply waiting for Dai to return. What if he had gotten hurt? What if he was dying somewhere? What if he never came back? The what-ifs spiraled through Honey's mind, making her head burn. She was going to go mad if she had to sit in the cart for one moment longer.

"Would you calm down?" Lukas snapped, just as Honey started to stand up to get out of the cart. "Let me assure you, he's fine," the God of the Flames said.

Lukas rubbed his temples in frustration as he pulled the cart over to the side of the path they were following as he always did before they went to sleep. He then turned to face Honey with his smoldering gray eyes. 

"You're anxious, I understand that," he said, slowly. "But understand this. You're weak. You're mortal. And you're just a Lekki girl," Lukas told Honey. The Lekki girl blinked in shock, swallowing down her hurt. "What could you do to help him?" he asked.

"I could..." Honey trailed off as she realized she couldn't help him. There was nothing that she could do better than Dai to protect him. Yet she still felt if something happened to him and she hadn't done anything she wouldn't be able to forgive herself. 

It was the same reason she had entered the Wild Woods. She wasn't a warrior, trained to kill Mutare, just a foolish Lekki girl who was desperate to save her brother. She had tried and she had been able to save him. But only by sacrificing herself. Perhaps that was her only role in any of this. A pawn meant to be sacrificed

"If Dai was in trouble you'd only get in the way," Lukas said, bluntly, as Honey looked away in shame, her cheeks tinted a light pink. "If you really want to be helpful you need to sto-" Lukas cut himself off as his eyes narrowed and eyebrows pinched together.

"Lukas?" Honey asked, both confusion and worry weaving together in her tone.

Lukas was silent for a heartbeat before a look of relief spread across his face. "It's just Dai," he said, and Honey let of a sigh of relief.