CHAPTER 11.1

Only she made a promise to us.
The Lady of Light made a promise to you
When you were just a babe
she promised you to be a queen

I'm no queen. I cannot rule.

Don't be so doubtful my child.
The Lady of Light chose you
for your pure heart and kind eyes.

~Holy Texts of Amaryllis

_________________________________

"The moon peeked through pine."

It stared down upon the Wild Woods, offering the slightest bit of light for those who traveled through the tall pines. When Honey awoke, her hand immediately flew to her neck, fear coursing through her veins, fearing last night was just a dream. 

Yet as she felt the cool metal of the locket, she felt a wave of relief wash over her. She sat up slowly and saw Dai had dozed off, his head on his hand like he was staring at the moon when he had finally fallen asleep. Lukas was sitting up, chewing on some of the bland bread, looking at the sky, his face void of emotion.

He turned to Honey slowly, almost as if he was reluctant to remove his gaze from the sky in fear it would disappear once more under the branches of the tall pines. He gave her a silent nod before tossing her a slice of the bland bread. 

Honey nibbled on the bread, as quietly as possible, trying not to wake Dai. Eventually, they were on the road again, riding down the simple dirt path they'd been traveling down for the past few days. Their pace was slow, as Honey continued to chew on her bland bread. She really did wish for there to be a way for her to make it taste better.

"When are we getting to the next city?" Honey asked, trying to keep her voice soft, which was nearly impossible if she wanted to be heard over the sound of the cart. Lukas seemed to realize this as well because he turned to Honey and made a small gesture as if he was asking her to come and sit in the front of the cart with him. 

Honey got to her aching feet, her entire body sore after sleep on the cart and walked towards Lukas on numb legs, trying her best to be silent. She stumbled into the front of the cart, as Lukas shifted over making room for her in the front.

As Honey sat down next to Lukas, she noticed just how warm he was. It was almost like how when Dai had brushed against her arm, sending a searing cold through her body. Only Lukas was merely warm, but not scalding. It was a comforting sort of warm that reminded Honey of all the nights she had spent curled up next to the fire with Aldwin.

And Lukas was the one who had robbed her of her brother. It was a chilling thought, especially for Honey since she wasn't one who traditionally held a grudge against others, yet even if Lukas's actions were for the good of the world Honey couldn't help but feel angry.