CHAPTER 13.1

The world used to have life
but then the Balance Goddess
sent Him.
He was the world's purifier.
He destroyed so we could be reborn.

But why?

The Balance Goddess only wanted
Those pure of heart to live.

~Holy Texts of Amaryllis

_________________________________

"Frozen water fell down her back."

Honey let out a yelp of surprise, earning a small chuckle from the vagabond, who had introduced herself as Danna, as she poured the frozen water on Honey's back. The vagabond was admittedly old yet was something unmistakably warm about her, even as she poured frozen water atop of Honey's tangled and matted hair. 

She was the only other person in the tent where Honey said in wildly warm water, receiving her first bath in weeks. Honey's face was flushed, her cheeks stained a bright and blotchy red as the Lekki girl wasn't used to having someone bathe her after her mother died.

Danna smiled warmly as she poured another liquid, this one warmer, onto Honey's hair. Her delicate fingers then went to work, removing the layers of grease and sweat that had piled up on Honey's scalp. 

"Your hair is quite beautiful," she said, her fingers massaging the Lekki girl's head. "It's a shame it got to be this way," the old vagabond murmured, quietly. "Although I can tell you are not used to another bathing you," Danna continued with a slight chuckle and Honey wondered if she was speaking just to fill the silence. The old woman poured so more water over Honey's head, causing the Lekki girl to shudder.

"Yes," Honey said quietly, her body tensing as the vagabond dumped another pitcher of icy water over her head. "My mother died when I was young," she told her. Honey wasn't certain why she was telling her that though.

"I'm sorry, dear," Danna said before moving to get a comb, brushing pulling it through Honey's tangled hair. "I almost lost my mother when I was about your age," she commented. "I would have if it wasn't for Daivid," she said.

"Daivid?" Honey echoed. "Who's that?"

Danna froze before letting out a slight chuckle. "Of course," she mumbled before she began the tedious process of brushing Honey's hair once again. "He calls himself Dai now," she said, with a smile.

"Oh," Honey said, pushing down her surprise. "So Dai saved your mother's life?"

"Yes. She was sick with a disease none had ever seen before. Our healers told us she was going to die. Only Dai saved her with his magic," she said.

"That was kind of him," Honey said, unsure of what else to say. "If only he had been there when my own mother had fallen ill," she said, before hesitating. "Then again, he probably wouldn't have helped her back then. I'm not even certain if he'd help her now."

The vagabond woman froze for a heartbeat, her eyes wide. Then she began to laugh. It was a loud and warm laugh with no cruelness nor mockery hidden beneath its surface. It was just a laugh of pure and simple amusement. "Saying Daivid is kind is incorrect," Danna said, resuming her work on Honey's hair. "He is not kind to us. He is not loyal, either. He is simply guilty," she said.

Honey pursed her lips, thinking. "How so?" she asked.

"He won't say," Danna said. "However our legend says that he turned on one of his own friends, murdering them in cold blood, for falling in love with a Lekki," she said, the amusement from her tone fading and her expression growing somber. "It is said that we vagabonds are descended from that friend and Daivid is simply trying to make up for what he has done," she hummed. "Although it does surprise me you think so lowly of him to leave a mother dying in front of her own child."

"If he didn't know me, then why would he help?" Honey asked. "Besides, I think he doesn't really like me all that much," she said.

"Daivid would never leave a child to such a fate. Lekki, Mutare or god. Not if he was given the option to help," the old vagabond said. "Especially not one with Mutare blood in her veins, such as you do," she stated.

"How-"

"You look too much like your mother for it to be a coincidence," the old woman said. "You have her eyes, her smile," Danna said.

"You knew my mother?" Honey asked.

"Yes, your mother, Rora we called her, was my own daughter," the woman said.

Honey's heart froze in her chest.

"And the person she was closest to before she left us for your father, was the very Mutare you have traveled so far with. Daivid Alexander, the child of the moon."