Chapter 17: The Bad News and The Worse News

Your P.O.V.
It was two days after the riot at Arkham and no one could find Joker. It's as if he vanished. Some cops even believed he left the city, but you knew he was still here. You almost had an obsession for him, but that was Batman's thing. You knew Joker was hard to find so you decided to try circuses. Jerome did it, who's to say Joker would do the same. You still haven't proposed to Barbara yet cause Joker was still out there. You promised her a safe Gotham, and Gotham can't be safe with Joker running around. It was almost ten o'clock at night when you got a text from Barbara. It read:
'Hey baby. You alright?'
              'Yeah, I'm fine honey. I just got a lot on my mind right now.'
'Well can you come over tomorrow for dinner? I got some news that might cheer you up.'
                                                                                                 'Ok what time?'
'7:30. Don't be late.'
                                                                                            'When am I ever?'
'Touché. Love you. <3'
                                                                                 'Love you too honey. <3'
When the texts ended you headed out to try and find Joker. It was a long shot, but it was at least a shot.

The Next Night 6 o'clock
Barbara's P.O.V.
As Dad and I got dinner ready he asked me "So what news are you planning to tell me and (F/N)?" I said "It's a surprise until after dinner." He said "Alright." As dinner was ready around 6:30 or so, Dad decided to continue his scrapbook of Batman for his retirement. As he worked I got a cup of coffee for the night and I was about to text (F/N) when I saw my dad get the paste, it was squidging out. I said "Oh, look. You've got paste squidging out, don't get it on your pants." As he worked he said "Barbara, I swear, you're fussier than your mother was."

Then there was a knock at the door. We both turned our heads and I said "That must be (F/N). He's early. I'm going to talk to (him/her) for a bit." As I walked to the door he chuckled and said "Look at this one. First time they met. He was just robbing banks then. Remember?" I looked at him and said "What I remember is you describing his white face and green hair. I was just a kid, scared the hell out of me." As I continued walking to the door my dad said "I thought you'd be interested." As I opened the door I looked at him and said "Yeah, well I had some really interesting nightmares." Then I looked out the door and I saw the Joker.

His hat drooped down so his eyes glowed white. His smile was wide and he had tourist garb on. As I looked down he had a camera on his neck and a gun in his hand. He brought it closer and I was terrified. He brought it to my stomach and looked down at the gun, then at him. Then I felt a pain in my stomach. I flew back from the blast and landed on Dad's coffee table, smashing the glass. He looked down, horrified, and yelled "Barbara!" I was crying and in pain, I put my hands over the wound to suppress the bleeding.

"I wouldn't worry yet if I were you. It's just a psychological manifestation, common among librarians." Joker spoke as he walked closer, my dad put his hand on my cheek to try and make me feel better. Joker said "She thinks she's a coffee table edition, though I can't say much for this volumes condition. I mean there's a hole in the jacket and the spine appears to be damaged." My dad looked at him with anger in his eyes and said "You scum," he grabbed the scissors near him and said "I'll--" then I saw him get punched in the face by one of Joker's men. Joker said "Will you? Refreshing to hear, not by the book. Speaking of which," he walked towards me "this one won't be walking off the shelf anytime soon. In fact, the idea of her walking anywhere seems remote."

He kneeled down to me and said "But then that's always the problem with softbacks." He clicked his tongue and "Oh, God, literary discussions can get so dry can't they?" He had a glass of water and said to the men "Finish the Commissioner, take him to where he needs to be and please, do be careful. After all, he is topping the bill." The men walked away with my dad carried. He looked at me and said "It really is a shame you'll miss your father's debut, Ms. Gordon." Tears still ran down my eyes and he wiped away a tear from my eye saying "Sadly, our venue wasn't built for the disabled in mind." I groaned and said "Why are you doing this?" He started unbuttoning my shirt and said "To prove a point." he lifted his glass of water and said "Here's to crime."

Timeskip (Trust me, even I don't wanna write about what he did)
Your P.O.V.
When you got the news that Barbara was in the hospital you rushed over there as fast as you could. Your heart was beating out of your chest and you were really worried. As you got to her room you saw a nurse walk in and say "I'm sorry sir but you can't be in here." You said "The hell I can't." You got by her bedside and saw a piece of paper by her bed. As you saw this the nurse left and closed the door. You were in tears, not only for Barbara's condition. But the fact that she was pregnant. What saddened you even more was that the baby was shot.

Tears streamed down your eyes. You were going to be a (father/mother), it was so close. You and Barbara could've had a son or a daughter. But someone took that away. As you cried you heard the window open, Batman was in the room with you. With anger you told him "Get out." He said "I'm sorry (F/N)." You got up, tears still filling your eyes, approached him and said "Sorry? Sorry!?" You punched him and said "This is your fault." He said "Control yourself." You said "Control myself? I might lose my wife. I lost my child! You don't know what that's like Bruce." You stormed out and said "You should've killed Joker when you had the chance." You stormed out of the hospital and said to yourself "I'm gonna find that white-faced son of a bitch and I'm gonna kill him. For you Barbara. For Gotham."

A/N: Well, that got dark fast. Anyway, three chapters left. The next two will be centered on vengeance so get ready to avenge your kid. Anyway I hope you enjoyed and remember to vote for the next book in my conversations. Have a good day/night. :)