Chapter 39

If Starsong hadn't shown me the picture of my bodyguard, I would have been somewhat worried about the distant presence of the rather non-descript brown-haired man whom I had seen in every building I had gone into. Very few people who spent an hour in a trade hall cafeteria would also show up in both the merchant's information area as well as down below in the city marketplace.

My time as a Cargo Bay assistant had made me very observant, so it hadn't taken me long to notice my follower. I had noted his presence in the trade hall cafeteria as unusual since he didn't seem to be doing any business or trades there. I doubted that anyone else talking with me had noticed him since he had not come close, but his distant shadowing was not nearly as subtle as I had expected.

'I hope that this is not his best effort, because his presence is quite obvious.'

Starsong wasn't worried. "No, he is not trying to hide. He is likely just curious about the one he was hired to protect. I have managed to track down some surveillance tapes from when he was actually keeping a low profile, and his skills are quite good."

It was rare to get a compliment like that from the Starship, so I took his word for it. 'I just finished everything I had to do. Since he seems so curious, should I invite him for a cup of tea?'

Starsong saw what I meant in my thoughts and agreed. "It may be a good idea to speak with him before the formal acceptance of the new crew this afternoon."

I was currently on the main docking station platform, not far from a small coffee café that was tucked into a corner just outside of the elevator building. I entered the building and sat at a small table just behind the wall partition by the door. No one entering would see me in the small corner unless they glanced back over their shoulder.

It was probably a good five minutes before he entered. Like I suspected, he wasn't aware of the tiny table in this corner and didn't see me with his first glance around the room. It wasn't his fault, most people likely never realized this table was here due to how the room was designed.

"Ronan, care to join me for a tea?"

He jumped slightly before twisting around, his hand moving swiftly to something on his belt. He paused when he saw me, letting his hand fall down to his side. He leisurely came over to take a seat across from me. "It would be my pleasure to join you for a cup of tea, Captain Wanderer."

I had a feeling that this guy could blend in anywhere, from a fancy event to down in the more questionable parts of the city below. If I hadn't known that he was in his late thirties, then I would have had a hard time guessing his age.

I shook my head slightly. "Anyone that Starsong employs can call me Rachel, when witnesses aren't present, of course."

There were a couple of people in the room, but none were close enough to hear our quiet voices. No one had even noticed his entrance or his presence yet. He nodded slowly, "That sounds good enough to me. I must admit that this meeting is a bit of a surprise."

I grinned slightly. "I don't have any tasks that require my attention at the moment, and I was curious to meet the man who has been following me around since I stepped off of the ship."

He relaxed and looked faintly amused. "You are unusually observant compared to many I have followed in such a fashion. Most people who have hired me never even noticed my presence when I was learning how they normally behave."

I was curious and asked, "So, what have you learned about me so far?"

We both fell silent as a waitress finally noticed us and came over. We both ordered a tea, and the woman left.