Chapter 14

A little extra chapter for this week.

Last Updated. August 9, 2018

Not Edited.

ALENA

Pain.

I clutch my aching head as I unceremoniously flop on the sofa. Urgghhhhhhhhh.

"You alright there Alena?" Shara calls not too loudly from the kitchen. The kids are asleep and in under no circumstances do I want them to accidentally wake up.

It was horrible trying to keep the kids' minds off what happened earlier. I took them to the ice cream shop then to the cinema. This seemed to successfully lift up the moods of Lei and Laila but Lucca was still in a sour mood.

"Urghhhhhhhhhhh." I groan in reply. Shara comes in and gives me a glass of wine before sitting on the floor.

"Sooooooo?" Shara says, raising an eyebrow.

"So?" I reply, bracing myself for another difficult discussion.

"What's up with that date?" Shara says after drinking some wine.

"That was not a da—urgghhhh" I sit up too quickly, starting an onset of pins poking my head.

"Easy there girl, just joking." She says worriedly, urging me to lay back down. "But really, since when were you and he who must not be named in 'let's have lunch together' basis?"

I sigh, taking a few second before replying. "I had a meeting with him. He's a client."

She raising an eyebrow in response. "Okayyyyyy. And how did this happen?"

"I didn't know he was the client. I've only been in contact with his general manager until today."

"Alright. So how'd you end up having lunch together?"

"He 'invited' me to lunch." I answer sarcastically.

"Oh, then?"

I don't answer immediately. I stare at the ceiling recalling my meeting with Leo. I was a bundle of emotions from what I learned. He threw away the letter. Does he hate me that much? What does he plan to do now? I sigh in frustration and confusion.

"He didn't read the letter until recently." I answer a few minutes later.

Shara pauses mid-drink. "He what?"

"He didn't read the letter all those years ago. He threw it away. Mrs. Jones kept it." I answer, trying to stop the tears of frustration.

"And what made him read it now?" Shara asks.

"I don't know." I reply.

"And what does he plan to do now that he knows?" Shara continues.

"I don't know." I whisper.

 "You didn't ask?" Shara asks surprised.

"We were getting to that when all that happened" I say, pointing upstairs.

Shara snickers and nod, seemingly remembering the harrowing event. "The little rascal was awesome."

"Shara" I say, stopping myself from giggling.

"Hey, you must admit. Your so called little 'angels' turned to little protective demons." She says, raising her hands in surrender.

"I prefer my little bodyguards. Thank you." I reply, raising my glass before taking a drink ; somewhat proud of my little angels. But I really have to talk to Lucca about being violent.

Shara laughs at my reply, making me laugh as well. After our laughing fit, Shara looks at me seriously and asks "So, what do you plan to do Alena?"

What do I plan to do? The dreaded question. I stare at the ceiling again pondering. My stand is still the same. I want my kids to have a father. But what would this mean for the both of us? I shake my head, at that thought.  No. My angels first before myself.

"It really depends on what Leo wants to do too. But as you have always known, I've always wanted the kids to meet him." I reply after some time.

She nods her head. "Lucca though" I sigh, thinking of that impeding hurdle. Lucca baby, I'm sorry you feel obligated to protect me. I'm sorry you feel you have to grow up quickly.

"And how bout you both?" Shara asks, interrupting my thoughts.

"Me and who?" I ask confused.

"You and he who must now be named."

I stiffen upon realizing what Shara meant. Images of our happy times together flash before me, making my heart clench. Feelings I've locked up have come bursting out as soon as he entered my life again. I miss those days. I miss Leo.

"That unrelated. The kids are more important." I say, trying to sound strong. "I met someone earlier." Changing the subject before Shara could reply.

"Oh, and?" She replies, not questioning the sudden change of topic.

"His name is Ryan. He is Vicky's dad. We're having coffee this week." I tell Shara. "And a picnic with the kids."

"Wow. You move fast girl." She winks teasingly.

I playfully shove her. "He was the one who asked. I just agreed."

"Whatever you say girl." She pats me in the shoulder as she rises from the floor. She then looks at me seriously and says "Just remember, I've always got your back."

I stop the tears trying to burst out and smile sincerely "Thank you Shara." 

"Well then, I've gotta go. Gonna have a longggg day tomorrow." She says, so I rise to see her out.

"No need. I'll lock the doors on my way out too. Just make sure to check the windows." She says.

I smile and give her a hug "I love you."

"Love you too." Shara replies as she returns my hug. "Now hustle, you need your beauty sleep. You look horrible." Shara teases.

"How dare you." I reply feigning shock and hurt.

"Whatever girl. Byeee." She says as she walks out, waving.

I go up to my room and go about my nightly routine. After which, I lay in bed desperately trying to not think about Leo. I then hear a small knock. The door then opens to reveal Lucca.

"Why aren't you sleeping baby?" I ask worriedly.

"I can't. Can I sleep here with you?" He asks pleadingly.

Oh my little angel. Even at home he's trying to protect me. My heart breaks at this thought.

"Come here baby." I urge. I then hug Lucca tight as we lay in bed.

With this I made up my mind. The kids need a father. Whether it be Leo or someone else. I should face my fear of getting hurt, for the sake of my kids.

 I should face my fear of getting hurt, for the sake of my kids