twenty-eight

28

VIOLA ANONYMOUS

VIOLA BATTLES WITH THE continuous flutter that practically consumes her entire chest, an almost twirling sensation deep within the pit of her stomach

VIOLA BATTLES WITH THE continuous flutter that practically consumes her entire chest, an almost twirling sensation deep within the pit of her stomach. She chews mindlessly on her lower lip, sinking her teeth into the lip gloss coated flesh before releasing a deep, dreamy sigh. She feels the bus come to a halt and as she continues to blink away the tiredness in her eyes, unable to resist the urge to reread a single message over and over again, finally feeling some kind of fire within her.

"Miss, are you getting off?" Viola whips her head up at the gruff voice of the bus driver. She looks around momentarily and blushes at the sight of the empty vehicle, too wrapped up in her own reverie to notice the bus is parked at the front gates of her high school. She squeaks out an apology and runs out, her school bag hanging off one arm as she clings tightly onto her mobile with the other.

Viola rushes through the large bustle of students, evidently knocking over one- or two-year seven's, who she apologises profusely to. She smiles shyly to the lot of senior students who greet her kindly as she passes or giggles alongside her at her flustered state.

When she finally reaches the double doors of Mercy Crest High School, she flings them open dramatically and heads towards the end of the hall in search of her best friend, who she doesn't doubt is passed out fast asleep in the common room. Viola feels the buzz of her phone and looks down at the device.

it's way too early to be alive
[8:20am]

don't be so dark benny
[8:23am]

what can i say, it's one of my many incredible qualities
[8:23am]

Viola giggles unintentionally, walking aimlessly through the halls as she lugs her heavy bag on one shoulder. She suddenly skids to a halt when a strong figure crashes aggressively into her shoulder, knocking her small figure over with a yelp. Viola squeezes her eyes shut, preparing to meet the floor but she never feels the hard linoleum underneath her petite body. She squints with one eye open and stares breathlessly into a pair of deep chocolate brown eyes, barely noticing his strong hold around her waist.

The boy stares at her with parted lips and slightly wide eyes as Viola can't seem to help but melt further into his grip the longer she stares into his soft, kind gaze. His eyes quickly flicker behind her and his lips tighten into a straight line. She twists her head and notices a familiar boy standing stoically with a phone clutched uncharacteristically tight between his fingers, eyes narrowed.

Viola turns back around and puts a name to the boy that holds her, knowing him from her chemistry class; Eddie Caufield, the boy with sandy blonde hair. He digs his fingers further into her sides before letting go, finally dropping his arms beside him. He rubs the back of his neck, a red flush forming at his cheeks. "Sorry about that darlin', should've watched where I was going." Viola swallows the lump in her throat and nods slowly, basking in the smoothness of his deep voice.

"Don't worry about it." Viola replies, her voice undoubtedly rising an octave or two. He chuckles softly and shoves his hands into the front pockets of his school trousers. Viola's cheeks redden as she rocks back and forth on her feet, praying that their encounter doesn't suddenly turn into an awkward nightmare.

"Eddie, let's go." A strong voice grumbles from behind them and Viola turns back around, staring at the tall boy that stands there. Her breath catches in her throat as she gives him a once over, his familiar pale blue orbs softening slightly as though her mere presence is able to calm him down.

Eddie clears his throat and passes Viola her school bag, which she had yet to realise was strewn across the floor. A few steps over he bends down and picks up her phone, which she prays didn't crack from its fall. He hands her the phone quickly and with a tight smile before scurrying off, not even sparing a glance at his hand as he walks by. After watching the two saunters around a corner, Viola turns her phone over and breathes a sigh of relief at the unscathed device.

She smiles to herself and looks around, noticing that majority of the student body had moved into their designated classrooms. Viola lets out a soft giggle, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear and slinging her backpack over her shoulders.

Just when she thought it couldn't, the sun decides to shine a little brighter.