17•A Teacher's Memory

The teacher stretched her back, grabbing onto one arm and raising them both above her head.

'Reincarnation, huh? That sounds familiar.' She thought, opening her eyes and pushing back her glasses. She went back to grading papers of the student's work from the day before. She never had a chance to finish all of them, as a certain short coworker called her in to discuss 'important matters'.

Important matters, her ass. He just wanted to lecture her about cleaning up a science lab properly.

She thought back to a somewhat similar conversation she had many years ago. Similar to the one she just had with one of her students. It was shortly after she graduated from college. She wanted to be a high school or middle school teacher, more aiming for high school.

Though there wasn't really a middle school in her hometown. It was separated from grades kinder through seven, then the rest was classified as 'high school'. The town was too small for another school.

But, anyway. She decided to start small. She was still living off of part time jobs, like a cashier or a waitress. So, she got a part time job for a little girl as what could be considered a 'tutor'. She did it for about two years.

The little girl could easily fall under the category of a 'genius child', absolutely no doubt. But that was the same reason they had a difficult time keeping tutors. She was apparently so young, but already at the grade of a fifth grader.

"She scared all of her other tutors away," the father told her, "she even scared the teachers when she was in school. We had to pull her out after months of even being enrolled because we realized how fast she was progressing."

His wife spoke up, "I know this would be your first job, but we need someone who can keep up with her. You're the last one we've found willing to put up with someone so young."

Their confessions and warnings seemed a bit exaggerated at the time. She didn't even see what was scaring the other tutors away until she actually met the emotionless six year old girl, who was starting fifth grade.

"Hello, there! I'm Hanji Zoe, nice you meet you!" The lady said in an energetic voice. Not even a show she was putting on for the kid, since that was usually her natural tone.

"I know who you are, I listened to your conversation with my parents." She admitted, sticking out her hand, "I'm Y/N L/N, you are my science teacher, correct?"

Though it was a slight shock of her word choices and maturity, she still grabbed and shook the child's hand.

"Science and history!" She stuck her pointer finger up.

-

Four and a half years passed. The girl, the genius child, at the age of ten was then in her junior year of high school. Her parents were still keeping it a private matter from everyone so they wouldn't be bombarded with questions and harassed with insults. This also included family.

"Are you finished?" Miss Zoe asked, taking the sheet on war history away.

"I've been finished for the past fifteen minutes." The H/C haired girl mumbled.

"Whaaah? Why didn't you say so?!" She asked.

"You rarely let me take breaks." The child eyed the road, watching for a blonde boy. When he started walking with an elderly man, most likely his grandfather, with a frown on his face, she felt a ping in her heart.

Their car hasn't been on that road in weeks. She could very well guess what happened to the poor boy, and his family.

"Ohhh, I see!" The teacher said as if she made some grand realization.

"What do you assume you see?"

"You always wait for someone, right~? Do you have a crush or something~?" She crazily grinned, giggling.

The seemingly pessimistic kid only replied, well, pessimistically.

"Crushes are a just whim of the emotion 'lust'. I do not wish to commit lust, thus making me not have a crush."

The teacher playfully frowned, "Man, you refuse to act like a kid, don't you?"

"I don't know how to act like a kid."

The frown on the four-eye's face was genuine this time. She sat on the swing next to her pupil's. "Is it because your parents are raising you as an heir to your father's business?"

This caused Y/N to scoff. "As if. My brother is the heir. I'm not even allowed to know what he does." She mentally rolled her eyes.

She knew that her tutor was probably too crazy to take her words seriously. If she acted out on emotions for once, to someone she's not close to, to someone who is probably even more crazy than her, then it will be fine. She's just a child.

Nothing bad could happen.

"You don't believe in reincarnation, right? Because you'd have to be crazy to believe in it. And you're not that crazy. Yet." She smirked. "No matter how many times I can say this to you, I already know the answer~" she giggled afterwards.

For once, Hanji gave the younger girl a serious look. She was thinking... that it was the most childish thing she's done since they've met.

It was silent for a few moments.

"You're going to accept the job offer, correct?" Y/N changed the subject.

"Huh?"

"I listened in on your talk with my parents again. You got a job offer at a high school. Will you start next year?" She asked.

The brunette nodded. "I'll still teach you for the rest of this year, though!" She jumped from the swing, "Meaning we still have a lot of time to bond!"

-

The brunette chuckled, remembering that. She was actually quite fond of that specific student. Whether it was just nostalgia from her teaching job, or that little girl's own quirks. She was curious what kind of young woman she grew into.

And if that's the girl that Armin keeps talking about, then perhaps she still believes in rebirth.

And now she's peeked in two people's curiosities.

-

Armin awoke to slight light peeking in through his curtains. His first thought was of the girl who was sleeping on a mattress beside his bed. He quietly sat up and looked over to see that the girl was missing.

He wondered if she walked out of the house or if she was in another room. He wouldn't be surprised either way.

He stood up and used his fingers to comb down his hair. He will brush it later.

When he opened his door and walked out of his room, he heard voices and the sound of a stove.

The mumbles became clearer as he heard his grandfather greet him while waiting for the stove to go off. "Good morning, kid! I didn't know you were going to have your girlfriend over!"