Chapter 67

April's POV

I was at Kayla's house, picking up a book I'd wanted to read. I could hear her rummaging upstairs, the floor creaking as though there were two bodies up there instead of only one.

I was right; there were two people upstairs, because in the next moment, Noah accompanied Kayla. He positioned himself some way away from me. Kayla glanced between us, pressing her lips together as though urging us to talk.

"Hey, Noah."

"Hi."

I paused, regaining my composure. He looked perfectly fine now, if not a little sheepish. I guess werewolves healed fast and it had been a very long time since the incident. "How are you?"

"I'm goo. You?"

I shrugged, "I'm okay."

We lapsed into silence, before I decided to clear my conscience. "I'm sorry about everything that happened. I know things will still be-" I glanced away. "Weird, but I'd like to try for a small piece of normalcy, if you wouldn't mind. I think we both deserve a break."

He shot me a small, surprised smile and I felt slightly better, despite the fact that he was careful not to be any closer than 5m away from me at all times. "I'd like to try for that too. It's just kind of hard when your pack hates me."

I raised my eyebrows. "I'm not part of a pack."

Kayla broke in, frowning. "Of course you are. Since you and Aiden are mates, you're technically part of the Silvermoon Pack."

"I suppose so." I mused, "but I don't hate you. And who gives a damn about what they think – this is between us. It's not right for other people to constantly make our business, theirs. And I'm fairly certain they don't hate you – well, not anymore. The Silvermoon Pack and Pinewoods want to make peace, right?"

Noah pondered upon this for a moment. "I guess. But that doesn't lessen the guilt."

"Noah. Stop – what's done is done. I'm over it." I dismissed the matter. As stupid as that may have made me sound, I was sick of looking to the past all the time. It made me ill just thinking about what happened. 

I stepped forward so I had crossed the boundary line between us and struck my hand out. He hesitated, glancing at Kayla. I spied Kayla smiling, her features softening with relief. He took my hand, after a moment worth of hesitation, and I smiled widely, grasping his hand and tugging on it firmly.

"Friends?"

"Really? Are you sure?"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Frenemies?"

He smiled gently, and nodded, suddenly looking younger. He still looked a little like the Noah I'd first met whilst waving around a pack of condoms, so that made me feel like I'd done something good. "Sure."

I finished reciting my encounter with Noah, careful not to be sparse with any detail to Aiden who merely nodded and tried for a smile but looked like he'd be sick instead. He looked ill.

I felt sick watching him.

We were sat in the clearing after reaching here in silence and were currently exchanging catch-up on one another's occurrences in the past month.

"I'm glad you sorted things out with him."

"You are?"

He shrugged. "It's good that you're sorting out things on your end. I suppose I'll have to do that some time as well."