Chapter Eighty

Over the next several days, the sun became covered with cloud and a chilly wind hinted that the Canadian winter was settling in. This was true of even British Columbia, where the Pacific Ocean historically kept the pristine west coast temperate most of the year. The dark skies and cooler air, however, did not keep Crissa, David and Julie from staying the course of their ambitious plans to meet Josh and Mary that evening at a hotel in Vancouver.

Arriving at the Sheridan Hotel and greeting them in the lobby, was not only an exuberant Josh and Mary, but another familiar face. It was Brad who had surprised them by arriving unannounced, making the trip down from Alaska to lend a complete presence to the memorable meeting.

"Oh my gosh, you guys! I can't believe we're all here," Crissa said excitedly, entering with David on one side and a refreshed Julie on the other.

"Yeah," Brad said, stepping up to hug all three of them.

Mary was next to embrace Crissa and Julie, while both girls fought back tears at seeing her smiling face again. Josh shook hands with David and Brad and then momentarily the group all just paused and looked at one another, reflectively. It was a look and moment that simply said they had all gone through so much, yet were there now to celebrate moving on.

As planned, the group was ushered into the dining room where they took seats around a large table. Josh announced as the menus were passed out and wine was poured, that he and Mary had each gotten teaching positions at the University of Illinois as assistant professors. They would start during the second semester. Brad told the group that he was changing his major at the University of Alaska to political science, which brought some chiding by David that he had always seen his friend as a politician.

When it came to David and Crissa to report on their current lives and plans, the group, witnessing their closeness and obvious shared affection that evening, did not need to be told there's was a future that somehow include each other.

"Well, being a few years behind the rest of you," Crissa finally said,  "I just need to get myself back into my studies and learn how to adjust to this . . . new schedule  I've taken on."

Everyone smiled, knowing full-well that meant to assist David and be there for him each month, regardless of the effects of the brightening moon.

David surprisingly spoke up, as well, not usually being one to waste words.

"Well I have to announce that . . . until I'm officially a student again, I've taken on an occupation out there in that big ocean. One that's at least something I know a few things about. And the pay is a lot better than any of you academics will ever see."

Everyone laughed.

"But let's not forget," he continued, "we're here to see one of our friends start a new life somewhere were she can breathe free . . . and really be loved." He then looked over at Crissa. "That's really all anyone can ever ask for in this crazy life, isn't it?"

Everyone seemed moved by the rhetorical question.

"Here here!" Josh weighed in, enthusiastically. Holding up his wine class to Julie. Everyone did the same, and Julie, too emotional to speak, just gestured by putting her hand over her chest and nodded.

Following a festive meal, Josh and Mary thanked the group for how they had come together and shared the resources to get Julie onto her flight to Berlin the following morning. From that point on, some twenty hours later it was understood, Horst and Jannik from the German village would pick her up from the Berlin airport and deliver her to their hotel in Erlightof.

It was further reported by Josh, who had last checked the weather through his German-speaking friend, that the first snows were falling on the mountain villages near the country's borders with Poland. Crissa quietly visualized this as a romantic time for both Julie and Andreas, allowing them to reconnect while in their human form.