CHAPTER 14.1

We lived as kings for thirteen years

We lived spoiled lives

We lived like we were his own children

We lived like his first born son

He used magic to keep the others

Who wanted to harm us

Far away from our lands

He was our protector

~Song of the Woods

_________________________________

"She had missed dawn's kiss."

So that was why Honey had woken up, just as the sun had begun to rise, walking through the vagabond camp as its light kissed the ground. No one else seemed to be awake and Honey was enjoying the silence. It was peaceful.

Suddenly, however, the silence came to an abrupt end as the wind began to blow and a soft and familiar melody crashed against Honey's ears. Her mother's song. For the first time, Honey began to wonder who was singing the song. She wanted to know how her mother's song floated through these woods. She wanted to know so much and the answers were just out of grasp.

Unless she simply followed the sound to its source. It sounded close. Closer than it ever had before. Making up her mind, Honey dashed into the woods, following the melody, mouthing the sweet words that went along with the tune.

Her feet flew across the ground with ease and Honey had to admit that the vagabonds' clothing was far better for travel than her old dress. However, she was far from silent and Honey soon found that whoever was singing had stopped. Honey silently cursed her loud Lekki feet, praying to whatever gods who would listen that whoever was singing wouldn't flee.

And it seemed like for once they answered her prayers.

"Honey?" a voice asked from high above. Honey jerked her head upwards to see Dai perched in a tree, peering down at her with large golden eyes, the hood of his cloak drawn as he jumped down from his branch. "What are you doing up so early?" he asked.

"I just..." Honey cut herself off, shaking her head. "Just wanted to see the sunrise," she said. "I mean... it's so dark in the woods I... kinda missed it," she said, rubbing the nape of her neck. Dai didn't say anything, looking up at the sun tickled sky, a small smile curling onto his lips, as though he was seeing it for the first time.

Honey shifted back and forth, waiting for him to ridicule her, but to her surprise, Dai nodded. "It's going to be a bright day," he commented.

"Y-you think?" Honey stuttered, not certain how to carry on a conversation with Dai. She was so rarely alone with him and he quite honestly intimidated her. "What are you doing up so early?" she asked and Dai opened his mouth, before closing it again, cheeks burning crimson as he tucked something behind his back.