➶ 9

WITH MY BESTFRIEND fuming, she paced back and forth, contemplating how to avenge me. Although the bruises were fading, it only made her more livid. "Calista, I don't think you're being completely honest with why you are putting up with this," she finally sighed in defeat. While she scolded me, I was busy admiring her dark brown hair that was in a bun with a pair of chopsticks. It never failed to amaze me. After muttering a string of incoherent curses in Korean, Zavian patted her shoulder in an attempt to calm her down. "It might have been understandable before, but it's outrageous now."

Knowing the stubborn nature of Asra, she would continue like this until she found an acceptable answer. "I'm collecting information and finding vital weak spots in large corporations," I answered as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. "My father thinks I'm away to study, which I am, but I'm also using this as an opportunity to find faults."

Zavian, however, looked unconvinced, "That isn't the only reason, is it, Calista?"

Despite my ability to eloquently lie in compromising situations, I refrained from doing so. "That's right," I calmly replied, tapping on a notebook with a list of names, either crossed out or circled. When I first arrived at this academy, I only wanted the freedom I lacked from growing up sheltered. At first, it had only been about experiencing human interactions and learning from the best professors in North America. However, after witnessing and undergoing the discrimination, I changed my plans.

I had three goals in mind, and I had no intentions of seeing them halfway. The first would be to learn all I could from the professors as I knew how ruthless the business society was. The second would be gathering information on as many corporations as I could. And the third was to investigate who was behind what happened eight years ago. "There's a reason why I cut all contact with you eight years ago,"

These affairs were strictly confidential, and few knew of them. I gritted my teeth, trying to keep my temper in check. Otherwise, I would end up making impulsive decisions. "This involves the incident eight years ago?"

Asra and Zavian were aware of my disappearance but never knew why. I didn't quite like the idea of keeping secrets, especially from Asra, but there were certain things I couldn't say. I nodded, "You can continue nagging, but I won't tell you anything else," my voice was firm and unwavering. "And I'm warning you not to dig any deeper. You're putting your corporations to the brink of disaster."

I hadn't expected to have this conversation on a Saturday morning before the sun rose. "Does your father have any idea what you plan to do? Have you ever considered how we feel seeing you like this?" Zavian retorted quietly. "God, it almost excites me to see how they react when they find out just who you are."

"I'm serious. Promise me you won't," I deadpanned coldly, narrowing my eyes, I added sharply, "I can handle these matters on my own for the time being."

The two were silent even though they had many things to say. In reality, they must have tried and found a dead end. When they made progress, it would result in three steps back. "It really sucks to feel powerless in this situation," grumbled Asra, rubbing her cheeks in stress. Interfering in these affairs would also put her family's corporation, and so, I believed she would be better off knowing nothing. "We promise, but in return, you'll come to us if you have any inconveniences that we can help with."

"I promise. You can stop worrying now," I ushered, clenching my knuckles. The incident eight years ago was never released to the media, and it would remain that way. Letting out a sigh, I circled the name of a certain female.

I couldn't tolerate how students were treated here. They were silenced if they dared show any resistance, thrown away and ruined. Not only would I succeed in my own plans, but I was going to thoroughly ruin everyone who played a role in my humiliation. That would be the only acceptable thing to do. And under no circumstance was I aiming to merely hurt them either. By the time I was finished, they would have nothing.