16. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻

ESZTER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. After boarding the Quinjet, Eszter stood further away from Steve as she and the twins kept their distance from the hero across from them. They had been flying for hours, and not once had anyone sparked a conversation; instead, everyone stayed within their own space. Eszter hated the silence because she could have to listen to her own thoughts, hearing how they criticize everything she had done over a short span of time. A plan hadn't been made between Eszter and the twins, going to the Avengers Tower and unsure of what to expect. Maybe even after they destroy the Cradle, the Maximoffs can leave without facing the Avengers during the aftermath.

Exhausted and with heavy eyes, Eszter kept a careful watch on Steve while Wanda and Pietro had fallen asleep; although there wasn't a need, Eszter couldn't be sure whether she should trust Steve. Never had Eszter imagined a day where she would be working alongside the very group of heroes they would speak against, siding with a world without the Avengers. Now, here Eszter was, helping Steve Rogers stop Tony Stark before the man destroys the world.

The miracle Eszter was promised was a lie; there was no good feeling or feeling remotely special. Eszter only felt ignorant and confused, unsure of where her loyalty shall lay with the conflicting motives. Nevertheless, Eszter should feel honored the gem had gifted her with the abilities she possesses, but she often wonders if it was worth it in the end. That's something Eszter still hadn't decided.

Inside, the jet was a lot smaller than Eszter had realized but somehow spacious at the same time. The enhanced was sitting on the floor next to Wanda, trying to keep herself calm and collected as she prepares herself for the fight that waits for them at the tower. Eszter hadn't noticed the way her heart beats against her chest or how she was started to tremble from the way her nerves were getting the best of her. Overwhelmed by all the madness and the chaos, Eszter couldn't take a step back and break everything down. It was all fast-paced.

They were flying to America where the remaining Avengers reside, but Eszter was getting more anxious by the minute. From this moment, Eszter didn't know which side to fall into, but as the narrative changes, the enhanced had to put some trust in the Avengers. Maybe not all of them, but as far as Eszter's concerned, Steve has shown a little compassion since that day she had met him at Hydra's headquarters. Eszter doesn't doubt that Steve is still upset after their altercation at the Salvage Yard, but maybe they were growing past it.

Steve knew they were lost, broken even. Three kids were angry at the world for taking away their innocence and at Death for snatching away their parents at a young age. What better thing to do is retaliate for the pain that was caused? Living in a world full of hatred and wars, there felt like no one to blame but the name printed in their brain.

Yet, all the Maximoffs ever wanted to do was protect Sokovia. To make a better world.

Steve places the jet into autopilot mode before turning his chair around, the hero pauses once his eyes land on the cowering figure hiding in the dark part of the Quinjet. His thick brow furrowed as his eyes were sympathetic, his lips curling into a frown. Eszter sat curled nearly into a ball as she stared blankly across the jet, her hair wild and eyes stained with mixed emotions. At first, Steve wasn't keen on the idea of associating with the girl, remembering the strong feeling of guilt and grief swelling in his chest; Steve had to live through his greatest nightmare because of Eszter.

However, that slipped past his mind as his main concern was checking on Eszter.

Climbing off his chair, Steve walks around the jet until he slowly pads his way towards Eszter. The girl doesn't bother to look up. "How're you holding up?" Eszter doesn't respond. Steve sighs dejectedly, suddenly taking a seat on the floor next to the enhanced, startling her. "I know this life is tough, believe, but if you want, you can always stay back at the Avengers Tower. You'll be safe there."