1

"I'm so sorry for your loss." Another voice spoke amongst the million that were already speaking. The pain felt surreal, like my heart had been ripped out of my chest and used as a chew toy.

I stared ahead, his voice playing over and over in my head.

'I'll be back before you even notice I'm gone.' he promised. I couldn't even be angry at him. The police men dressed in their expressionless faces told my mom that the drunk driver came out of nowhere.

'An accident' they called it. 'A hit and run.'

My house was full of people I hadn't seen since I was six. Strangers. They all felt sorry for us, their pity could be heard from a mile away.

"Nelson was a good person." My grandmother rubbed my arm, assuring me that my brother would go to heaven.

There was no heaven. Only a black, empty hole where Nel would be layed to 'rest', leaving me behind to pick up the pieces.

My mother's sobbing made me look up, moving the hair out of my face. She was in the worst shape I had ever seen her in my life. Harry, my stepfather, looked over at me with beckoning eyes.

Harry had been my mom's partner since my dad died about 3 years ago. He was okay enough, and he made my mom happy. He was much younger though, fourteen years younger to be precise.

"Mom?" I sighed, pulling her fragile body to mine. I hadn't cried once. Everyone  noticed but no one said anything. "It's okay mom." I hushed her cries. Harry put his hand on my shoulder since I was much shorter than him.

My mom cried on me for a few minutes before regaining her composure. She set her hand on my cheek, eyes tearing up. "I'm okay." She sniffled, looking at both Harry and I.

I wasn't okay. Nelson was like the big brother in all the movies you see on TV. He was protective, smart, funny, caring, my best friend. He was my only friend.

I moved from the crowd, searching for a place to be on my own. The crisp breeze hit my face as I opened the back door, heading for the tree house from when we were younger.

My father had built it for me and Nel a month before he had the heart attack. I climbed up the wobbly ladder, crawling through the tiny door.

I wanted silence. But instead, a deep voice deprived me of the isolation I desired.

"Caity?" I remained silent, hoping he'd go away. "I know you're in there." His words were soft spoken, like he was afraid to cut my skin with the syllables.

I peeked my head through the little window, looking down at the man dressed in full black. "I'd like to be alone." My voice quivered, a lump forming in my throat.

Nelson always made fun of me for being sensitive. "Cry baby." He'd say, poking my cheek. I suppose not crying for him was my revenge.

This is not how I planned to get my revenge on him, though. I'd choose his namecalling a billion times over the situation he put me in.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't notice Harry climbing up the ladder. "What the hell are you doing?" I groaned, not finding enough strength to yell at his stubborness.

"Nelson would never forgive me if I let you go through this alone." His nostrils were flared, his face was one of a mourning man. He had learnt to love my brother. I mean, Harry is only 6 years older than him so they bonded I guess.

His green eyes eyes were glossed with tears of exhaustion from staying up with my mother all night, his cheeks were a light shade of pink, and the bags under his eyes had become prominent.

"He's dead, Harry. I think he'd forgive you." I crawled into a corner, pulling my legs to my chest. Harry long legs awkwardly stretched out, filling almost the entire length of the tree house.

"Caitlin." He breathed, running his fingers through his hair.

I was frustrating him.

My brown eyes met his green ones  for a split second. My lips parted to say something, but no words managed to drag their way out.

"I can handle this alone, Harry. You should be with my mom. She's in shambles." I shut my eyes, my head leaning back on the wooden wall.

I heard nothing.

I was afraid to open my eyes, afraid to see if he had actually left me.

A sudden shift of the tree house made me aware that he was in fact, still in the damn tree house. I was beginning to lose my temper. My hands covered my face and I bit at the inside of my cheek.

"Dammit Harry, just get the fuck out!" I yelled, my voice cracking. My vision was blurred and I didn't notice I was crying until I felt the wet drops on my face.

Harry was next to me in seconds, pulling me to his chest and rubbing up and down my back.

"He said he'd come back! Harry, he fucking promised me." I sobbed, clinging onto Harry's shirt.

A kiss on my head calmed my racing heart and soothed my aching chest. "It's okay. You're okay." He assured me, tightening his grip around me.

Nelson's face burned in my mind like if it had been branded there.

"For right now, we'll just sit here. You can handle this alone, but I would never let you do that."

-
Hello my lovlies!

My name's Yana and I'm 18.

Enjoy my fanfic, and don't forget to vote!