Chapter 1

(Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I have posted a story on Wattpad. I'm working on a lot of projects, but I wanted to have a story I can work on when I need a little break from deadlines and editing. I don't know how often I'll update, but I hope you enjoy the story and remember to vote and share.)

HARPER

Why did the trip have to start today of all days? I glance behind myself and watch the boy I've had a crush on since I was ten years old, waving goodbye to Ezra and me.

"I can't believe it finally happened," Ezra says as he tightens the bag on his back.

"After three years she just called it off?" I rush to keep up with his brisk pace. Ezra is my best friend, and his brother Finn has been the only guy my heart has ever raced for. "Did he tell you what happened?"

"No," Ezra says as he tugs at my sleeve trying to help me make it to the security gate before we miss our flight. "He said he would tell me about it when we get back. He didn't want to be a bummer before I left for the trip."

My foot catches on the worn carpet, and I trip, but Ezra saves me. His hands are strong as he grips my arms. We have the kind of friendship that allows entire conversations to take place without a word being said. His eyes squint, and then the olive skin around them crinkles as he smiles. He's just asked if I'm OK, then mocked my usual clumsiness.

"Don't you want to know?" I ask hurriedly.

Ezra is busy scoping out the security lines to see which will get us through the quickest. The accident on the freeway nearly caused us to be twenty minutes behind schedule. He's up on tiptoes now, counting the passengers quickly in each twisted roped-off lane.

"Um, sure," he says, grabbing my hand and pulling me into the line. He's not paying much attention to our talk; his focus is on making up for lost time.

"Ezra!" I whisper-shout.

"What?" His eyes meet mine.

"Three years!" I say exasperated.

Finn and Molly were the power couple of our large high school for the three years they dated. That's what happens when the most popular jock falls for the prettiest cheerleader. It didn't matter that the odds were against them like they are for all high school relationships, the two of them made it work.

"I know," Ezra says. He blows out a big breath. "It's bad. That's all I know. She was crying last night in his room. I don't know what happened, but it's painful for both of them."

My attention is on his every word. He's terrible at relaying information. I can't exactly be too obvious either. If he knew how in love I was with Finn, our friendship might break as epically as Finn and Molly's relationship.

"Are you sure we should go?" I ask. My hands grip the straps of my backpack as I stretch my neck to see if Finn is still visible at the front of the airport.

"What?" he asks in shock. "Of course we should go. This is our senior trip!" He stretches the words like it makes the answer easier for me to understand. The bewildered look on his face snaps me back to reality.

"Right," I say with a shake of my head. "I just know you'll worry about him." I pretend I'm not dying to be the shoulder for Finn to cry on. That is if he ever saw me as anything more than the little girl that's best friends with his brother. But maybe now is my chance.

"He'll be fine. We have five days of parent-free vacationing ahead of us. His relationship drama can wait." Ezra kicks off his shoes so he can put them in the basket.

"Are we going to make it?" I ask changing the subject.

"If we run," he answers.

I take my shoes off too and slip them into the basket. Ezra makes it through the sensor no problem but doesn't bother to put his shoes back on. The voice over the loudspeaker calmly announces the last call for our flight. As soon as I get through the screener, we grab our bags and run towards the gate.

The door is closing when we get there, but the flight attendant takes our tickets and rushes us inside. We made it. This is my first trip out of the country without my family, and it isn't until I'm greeted by the pilot that I realize I'm really doing it. It should feel more exciting—and it probably would—if I hadn't just learned that my one shot at telling Finn how I feel about him before he heads back to college is going to be gone when the wheels of this plane leave the ground.

"I'll come check on you in a bit," Ezra says as he moves down the aisle to his assigned seat. There are four other schools represented by the teens on this plane. A private company was responsible for making all the arrangements, and we've been making payments all year. Somewhere on here are the chaperones, but from what Finn said about his senior trip, the chaperones are only a year or two older than us and take the job for a free trip.

"OK." I look down at the letter and numbers printed above the seats, and take my last few steps to the row I'll be seated in. It's going to be a long flight, so when I look down at the boy who will be sharing my armrest, I try not to roll my eyes when I find it's Asher Kennedy.

I'm not surprised at all that he's on the trip, but I am surprised his usual arm candy isn't occupying the window seat. Asher and Jess are the new royalty. They slipped right into the spot previously held by Finn and Molly. I guess when you letter in both baseball and football, the path to teenage idol is an easy one. That prom king crown was made to fit his head, but he seems to be missing his queen.

I double check my seat number, sure there must be some mistake. I hear the melodic giggle of a very social Jess coming from a few rows back. Asher's eyes find the back of the seat in front of him and stare at the pattern on the old fabric as if he wishes he could climb in it. It's the mile-long stare of a broken heart, and I realize I'm not the only one who would like to get off this plane. I guess senior trips don't account for epic break-ups.