Genevieve Throws a Remote

Dylan, although I said I'd go, still pestered me about the party, thanks to Julie and her promise of being a totally bad kid and lying to her mom. She told her that she was going to be with me for the whole day, which technically wasn't a lie. I do not condone this.

Today was the day of the party that started around 8:00, according to Dylan. So we had time to do nothing before it. Julie felt the need to ask about how these parties worked, if it was really like it was in the movies. So, I dug deep in my mind to find my most recent memory of them.

"Is it gonna be crazy?" Julie asked, looking up from her position on my lap. We were watching TV and she decided this to be the most comfortable way to do so, for her at least. I didn't mind it though.

"Dylan said it would be tame."

"What do people do there?"

"Stuff that usually involves alcohol." My head lolled to the side. "Or they literally just talk."

"Huh."

"What?"

"Sounds boring."

I smiled. "What'd you expect? Someone falling out of a window?"

"Someone's done that?"

"No... I haven't heard anything like that here," I said. "People our age aren't that wild."

I didn't think they were. They shouldn't be, at least.

"Okay."

I sighed and Julie reached up for the remote. Just to mess with her, I kept raising my arm until it was a few inches away from her outstretched hands. Looking down, I could see this cute pout on her face. Then that pout turned to a look of determination.

Before I could blink, she was up and reaching for the remote. I reacted fast and backed away to the end of the couch, remote still clutched in my hand. Then she lunged, so I threw my arm back so the remote hung above the floor in my hand, away from Julie. She was not getting this remote.

I laughed at her scrunched up face. "All this for a remote?"

She slapped my knees, her lips twisted upwards in the most unhappy expression ever. "Yeah, so what?"

"I think it's a bit too much."

"So?"

I smirked. "So, this is unnecessary."

That smirk was gone as soon as she did something I didn't expect. Hands still on my knees, she pulled my legs apart and used the space to lean in and lunge again for the remote in my other hand. I didn't have time to react to the sudden closeness of her and her sweater stretchers because her hand was reaching the remote. I did the first thing that came to mind. With a flick of my wrist, the remote flew from my hand, over our heads, and to the other side of the couch where it landed on the floor. I'm pretty sure it broke in some way but that didn't matter right now.

Julie blinked, looked down at me, then decided to sit down on her heels. She was still in between my legs but I didn't want to make this awkward. I mean, I just flung a remote across the room to keep it from her.

"Now..." Julie looked at me. "Now that was unnecessary."

I smiled sheepishly. "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

__________

The bottom of the remote fell out and I had to pop the thing open to place it back in.

"How long until the party?"

I looked at my phone. "Just an hour."

Julie nodded. "Think it will be fun?"

"Nope."

"Why?"

"'Cause, I just know."

"Okay."

_____

A/N: Hello, me again. I know, it's been so long, so, so long.

My explanation: I've been sleeping a lot, and playing games in celebration of summer break. Yes, summer break. It's wonderful, so darn wonderful.

And yeah, the chapter is like, super duper short since I just had to make one after so long. Whoopsie.

So yeah, thanks for reading! Here's a smiley face :)