Chapter Thirteen - Remorse and Eclairs

Remorse and Éclairs

Sebastian tore through the castle, his howls of rage echoing down the halls. His claws ached to sink into flesh, to rip and tear. He needed to fight, he needed to slaughter.

He needed to fuck that damn halfling to completion.

Leaping from the balustrade he landed in the main hall. He rose to full height with a deep growl, his chest heaving. Jasper stood in front of the heavy double doors, blocking his path. "Master."

"Get the fuck out of my way!" he thundered.

His servant didn't move. Instead his eyes narrowed, flashing with irritation. "Do you wish to frighten her? To drive her away? How can you possibly win her affections-?"

"I do not want her affections!" Sebastian slammed his fist against the wall, crushing the stone.

Jasper raised a brow. "And why not?"

That gave him pause. He struggled for clarity. His mind and body were on fire, his instincts running high. The demon in him was on the razor edge, the cage in his mind crumbling. He stared at his hands, at his brutal black claws still aching for blood. "What would be the point? She will never accept me."

"Not acting like this she won't."

His teeth snapped. Fuck him!

Victoria's words kept replaying in his mind. She wanted him to let her go. Disappointment laced through him. Sitting with the little female and talking with her openly had felt like a dream. For a moment he'd thought...

"She already wishes to leave me." He felt his chest tighten at the very idea of it. And she hasn't even seen me yet. He dragged the claws of one hand down the wall. He was losing it, the cage in his mind cracking with every ragged breath. "Why should I give a fuck about her?"

"You need to give her time-"

"That's enough!" Fury overwhelmed him, the cage shattered. He barreled towards Jasper, his claws slicing through the air. They passed through the other demon harmlessly, slamming into the doors. The heavy wood burst open from the force, splinters flying past his head. He wanted to crush bone and flesh. Sebastian roared with frustration, clutching at his hair. "Damn you!"

"I only speak the truth."

"Silence!" He struggled to breathe. He felt trapped. He needed out.

Jasper's eyes became unfocused. "The halfling calls for me."

"Then go to her!" he bellowed.

Jasper glared at him. He didn't wait for his servant to answer, running straight through the demon's incorporeal form and into the night. His harsh breath's puffed in the cold air as he moved faster, harder. Snow flurries fell, cooling his burning skin.

He didn't stop running. From the castle. From himself. From her.

The more distance he put between himself and the stronghold the more animal he became. The cool night air filled his lungs, wild scents rushing over him. He sprinted headlong into the forest, toppling trees in his wake. His fury still burned, he needed an enemy, anything he could vent his rage on.

The scent of something foul hit him on the wind. Hellhounds. The evil fuckers were on his lands, near his castle. Near my Victoria.

His lips curled back over his fangs as he roared into the night. He took off through the forest, tracking the scent. His heart thundered, adrenaline pumping through his veins. He relished it, the thrill of the hunt and the promise of battle spurring him on. His long strides ate up the miles, reaching a cave tucked against the mountain range.