7

To say my eye was stinging was an understatement. As I walked out of the building, I had to keep pressure on it to relieve the pain but even then, the water still seemed to seep out from underneath my fingers.

"God dammit." I muttered, wondering what was happening exactly. It felt as if someone had stabbed me in the eye.

"Everything alright?"

I looked up and saw the mysterious man standing there with his hands in his pocket, looking ever so slightly amused.

"Yeah." I said, still pressing my eye with one hand. "Great. My eye stings like a bitch. But I guess you probably noticed already what with me standing here, one hand pressed against it."

The mysterious man came up to me then, and pulled my hand away. He then proceeded to take a look at my eye, using his fingers to pry it open. I wanted to slap him, or push him away, but quite frankly I couldn't be bothered.

"All seems to be going well." He said.

"Oh." I said. "I guess I must be imagining the pain, then."

"Nope." He said. "You are not."

"Then what is happening?" I asked. "Have I got conjunctivitis or something?"

He scoffed. "Far from it."

"Then what?" I hated that he never just gave the answer. You had to ask a million and one questions to even get so much as a hint.

"Your body is finally accepting the Change."

"The change?" I asked. "I've already been through puberty."

"You and your sarcasm." He sighed, rolling his eyes. "The Change is when your conscious mind finally accepts the power that has been laying dormant in your body since you were born. The knife you were stabbed with- that was the trigger. But you needed to mentally embrace it before your body could. That time has finally come."

I remembered the dream I just had. Was that it? Was that what I just did?

"Okay." I said, still holding my eye. "But how long is my eye gonna hurt for?"

"Not long." He said. "Maybe a few weeks."

"A few weeks?!" I exclaimed. "How am I supposed to do anything with my eye all messed up?"

He smirked. "Just kidding." He said. "It should ware off in a few minutes."

I frowned. "Did you- did you just tell a joke? Like, an actual joke?"

I could see the corner of his mouth quirk up, but he didn't say anything. He turned to leave.

"Wait!" I exclaimed. He turned back around. "Please, for God's sake, can you tell me your name?" I was getting fed up of calling him the mysterious man, especially now that I knew he had a hidden sense of humour under that cloak of darkness.

He hesitated, and for a moment I thought he was just going to vanish again. "Ronan." He said, and then he did vanish.

For a moment I was pretty shocked that he even had a name. Ronan. Finally I could stop calling him the mysterious man.

With that, I could feel my eye beginning to get a little better- it still stung, but I was able to move my hand away and keep it open. I decided then to walk back to the flat, hoping that nobody would be in so I could just jump into bed and leave the figuring out of today till morning.

When I got in, I could hear the guys in the kitchen but proceeded to my bedroom and shut the door behind me. I then went straight to the bathroom, and took a look in the mirror. My eye was red and puffy, probably from stinging and watering so much and from where I'd rubbed it. However, it was also silver. Glowing silver.  When I looked closer, it almost looked as if the iris of my eye was molten metal. I then turned and looked at my underwear drawer where I'd put the knife.