Chapter 90

"When will you stop sympathizing with the weakling, Elijah?"

The first hit landed on Elijah's cheek harshly, while Mikael shouted at him. He was raging. Elijah again had tried to protect Niklaus from their father's rage. It worked. Now he was hurting Elijah instead of his younger brother.

Elijah remembered this scene clearly. He was between being a boy and becoming a man, insecure, but already strong willed and highly loyal. But to be honest he had no clue why he remembered this showing of violence from his father that clearly. There had been countless situations like this, some even more brutal.

Maybe it was because it was the first time he showed signs of rebellion. For years he had thought that this was normal. But now he knew that it wasn't. Niklaus had again been close to death. It was Elijah's small revenge to look his father right in the eye when he beat his flesh and blood, his second eldest.

"He deserves it."

Another hit. The skin of his cheek was glowing red and tears stung in his eyes, but he didn't allow them to spill.

"You will thank me when your own children turn strong. Stronger than you. Because I educated you right!"

Blood came dripping out of Elijah's nose. But he looked into Mikael's eyes.

He awaited the next hit to struck him unconscious and his eyes flickered to his father's fist. What he did not expect was to see slim fingers wrapping around Mikael's wrist with an iron grip. He tried to fight the brunette beauty that crushed his bones. But with one slight push, Mikael stumbled back and he disappeared into nothingness.

Grace rolled her eyes, but when she looked back at Elijah, she smiled.

"What did you do to deserve this?"

Her voice was angelic as always, but Elijah felt himself blush. Just like when he was a teenager and tried to speak to the young women of the village.

"I tried to save my brother."

Elijah tried his best to sound as confident as he could. It didn't really work. But her smile grew even wider, showing perfect white teeth.

"That's not a reason to be beaten. You were very noble, Elijah."

He wanted to be polite and nod, but she grabbed his chin between her fingers before he could. She shushed him and leaned in closer to him. The young man's breath quickened when her beautiful face came nearer and nearer. Just before her lips grazed his, her eyes fell shut.

Even though Elijah knew that this wasn't real, it felt like his very first kiss. He wished that it had been Grace. A lot of torture would've been spared for him if she had been the first.

All the pain Mikael caused suddenly faded when she kissed him. A lot more changed. They weren't in a viking village anymore, they were in New Orleans, home, on one of the balconies facing Bourbon Street. Breathtaking music sounded to their ears.

Elijah wasn't a boy anymore. He was his grown self, a vampire, wearing his usual suit. The blood was gone. And Grace was now highly pregnant. Her belly was swollen, carrying their greatest joy.

"Our child will not live like this, Elijah. We will do better."

She whispered as she pulled away. Still smiling, she turned around to see the artists on the street.

A relieved breath escaped Elijah when he thought the nightmare was over and he was dreaming about more peaceful things. He wrapped an arm around Grace's shoulder and with his other hand, he lightly touched her belly, feeling the kicks of their child against his palm. Never before had he felt greater happiness.