Chapter 9

"Adeline," the Frenchman's voice, whom Adeline had come to know as Louis, broke Adeline from her sleep. "Adeline, I think something is happening." There were gunshots and shouting. It wasn't the screaming that usually plagued these concrete hallways, but joyous shouting. She was too weak to get up and try to see what was happening.

"Adeline, are you still with me?" Louis asked. "Adeline?"

"Yeah, I'm still here," Adeline's voice cracked.

"I think they're liberating the compound," he said, eager to see who their savior was. "Hey! Down here!" Louis shouted. "Viens ici! We're down here!" Adeline closed her eyes, leaning her head against the cement wall. She could be free. She let out a small laugh. She could imagine Bucky's smile and Steve's arms around her. Of course it wouldn't be the same. She had grown thin over the months of her imprisonment.

"Merci, mon ami!" Louis exclaimed as his cell door was opened. "My friend, she's in the cell down here. Come." Adeline opened her eyes, blinking, trying to clear her vision. She saw Louis for the first time. He was a tall, thin man. His hair looked like it once was thick and glossy, but after months of imprisonment, it was thin. It looked like he ate the food the Hydra soldiers gave him as he wasn't nearly as thin as Adeline.

"Adeline?" A familiar voice questioned and Adeline gave a weak smile. A man in a red, white, and blue suit walked into her cell. She found it rather ostentatious after all she saw these past few months was grey. His face came into focus and her smile widened.

"Steve," she breathed as he pulled her in for a hug.

"I thought you were dead," Steve said.

"So did I," Adeline breathed as he helped her up from the squeaky cot.

"Get her out of here," Steve ordered Louis.

"Of course," Louis agreed, aiding Adeline, draping her arm around Louis' shoulders.

"Wait, Steve, where are you going?" Adeline asked, still holding Steve's hand.

"I've gotta find Bucky," he said.

"Bucky? What happened to Bucky?"

"I'll tell you everything once you're safe," Steve said. "Go!" He began running in the opposite direction of Adeline. An explosion shook the compound and Louis urged them faster. Adeline was stumbling next to him, her arm draped over his shoulders.

"He will be fine, come," Louis encouraged as they reached the exit. Louis grabbed a gun from a dead soldier, offering them some form of protection.

"Get me a gun," Adeline said. Louis raised his eyebrows, but gave her a gun without another word.

"Let's go," Louis said.

|Tuesday, September 8, 1942|

Some part of Adeline didn't want to tell the M.O.R. that she was alive and well, but the message was sent once she was able to function properly. Every day, Bucky would come to see her, check on her progress. Sometimes he would sit with her for hours, just talking or playing a card game to pass the time. Today was the day she was actually allowed to walk without someone to help her. She sat on the edge of the hospital bed, getting her wounds dressed.

"Hey, Adi," Steve's voice caused Adeline to look up.

"Hey," Adeline responded with a smile. "God, I don't think I'll ever get used to you looking like that." Steve laughed, looking down and shaking his head.

"Yeah, me neither," he admitted.

"You know how I found out about your idiotic plan to become a super soldier?" Adeline questioned.