THE RESCUE (Iselen P.O.V)

You're going to hate me... Sorry...

- Calm down, Iselen. It'll work because it's very simple. There's no need to make it complicated. My men and I will fight against that half dozen of soldiers catching them off guard while prince Nandi and you go to rescue Ruby. We'll leave this kingdom on my ship then. This plan can't fail.

I nod at Koji because I know he's right, those guards aren't expecting any attack, much less from a vampire and his loyal servants. They've been benefiting from the virtues of their lord's blood for long years so they're far stronger and more resilient than I am... at least I have my magical power. Night has fallen only a few minutes ago and the prince has guided us to a little group of tress close to the north wall from where we'll attack. I rub Deva's neck absentmindedly, the poor animal has been running up and down all day and she seems exhausted; my mare is no longer a young filly, she's getting old and she's not up for these sorts of things any more. I'm feeling more nervous as time passes and it isn't because I think that the plan is going to fail but because I feel like we're running out of time.

- We need to do it now, we can't wait anymore.

- All right – answers Nandi – My dad always stays with the Court after dinner for at least half an hour so he'll be busy. This is a good moment.

- Let's go, give us a minute to start the fight and you get into the dungeon taking advantage of the mess.

I nod again at Koji and he moves with vampire speed, too fast to see him. One second he's in front of me and next second he's knocking out one of the guards while his men rush to join him. The other five soldiers run to face the intruders but there's not much they can do against a vampire that caught them off guard. I sneak with Nandi into the dungeon dodging punches and kicks that are flying in all directions closely followed by Lucifer that turns into a panther inside de corridor and guides us through the darkness thanks to his feline senses. We soon arrive to a room feebly lighted by some candles that have almost burnt out: Ruby's lying on the floor behind iron bars.

I run to her blinded by my concern without looking around me and I don't realize that another soldier is on guard duty sitting at a table holding a sword in his hand. Luckily, Lucifer finishes him with one sweep of his mighty paw and his movement grabs my attention making me stop running, shocked when I realized I came within a fraction of dying. While my feline friend goes close to the iron bars and the prince bends down to verify if the soldier is dead, a hidden door in the wall opens suddenly and the king comes in: we stare at each other's eyes during a long second due to the shock but, before he can even open his mouth, I throw him a pulse of magical energy that makes him faint. The monarch falls on the floor with a thud.

- Don't worry Nandi, your dad is okay but he'll sleep for a while...

- No... - I hear Ruby whispering. She's still lying on the floor, her skin is very pale and she's coated in sweat. With a new pulse of magic I open the iron bars slightly, enough to sneak into the cell. I kneel down next to her body and put my hand on her forehead: her skin is ice-cold. I take off the thick dark silk jacket Koji lent me immediately and I wrap her up.

- Calm down, babe. I'm taking you out of here.

- No... the king... wake him up...

- What? But Ruby...

- Do it!

- How? I don't know how to reverse that spell... you never showed me... - Ruby closes her eyes and bites her lip, she seems to be holding back a scream.